This office hit me with his thick scent, my wolf almost growling. Remembering how Cleo smelt after visiting him. I keep my cool, clenching my fists so I don't lash out. It's just a smell, It's just a smell. I tell myself.

The dark wood interior made his office look like it belonged to a mafia member. There was not a single item out of place. Where his large oak desk sat, behind was a large black leather chair. In front of this was a small coffee table and four chairs, a musky candle lit.

"Make yourself comfortable," Everett says, shutting the door behind us.

I take two steps forward and perch on the closest chair, leaning my elbows onto my knees. Everett loops around his desk and opens what I presumed was his alcohol cabinet. "Would you like a drink?"

His hands open the cupboard and he pulls back a bottle of whiskey and two short glasses.

"Sure," I say. "Thank you."

Everett shuts the cabinet door with his leg and places the glasses down on the top, popping off the plastic lid and pouring them evenly. "So, what brings you here Kassian?"

He waltzes around his desk and hands me the glass effortlessly. "Thanks," I nod and instantly raise it to my lips, needing it more than I realised. Everett perches opposite me and holds the glass between his hands, leaning onto his knees.

As I swallow the burning liquid I glance back up at his eyes. "I came here to apologise for what went down between us. What I did was completely unacceptable and I'm embarrassed, so I'm sorry for lashing out at you. It's not something I'm proud of but it's something I want to try and fix. For the sake of Cleo and her old pack."

Everett hums and raises the glass to his lips, sipping slowly. "I'm sorry if I ever gave you the impression I was interested in Cleo, I just respected her bravery and wanted her to be involved with her old pack's lives and their families."

"I guess when I almost lost her, the idea of anyone being interested in her made me flip," I find myself admitting. "I don't want this to ruin what you guys built, I still want you guys to work together, I'd love to help out even."

His eyebrows raise, like this was the last thing he was expecting me to say. "What happened between us wouldn't have affected what Cleo has with her old pack. But I do appreciate you coming over to apologise."

"I hope you can forgive me for acting immature and not talking it out like men," I take another sip. "My wolf felt threatened, it was like a switch I couldn't control. I am deeply mortified but I hope we can work past this."

"I accept your apology, Kassian," he offers me a genuine smile. "Don't get me wrong, Cleo sure is one of a kind but I wouldn't ever go after someone who is mated. That's not what I stand for and I am still waiting for my chance to meet my own mate."

"Well when you do, you'll realise how crazy you can turn for them."

Everett releases a chuckle. "You know what, you're probably right and I am yet to experience that. I guess it's all part of finding the one you're going to spend the rest of your life with, you'll protect them at all costs. Even if you've got the situation wrong."

It's my turn to laugh. "You've got that right," I look down at the bronze liquid in my glass. "But I'm working through it. I'm trying to deal with my deep rooted issues so that I can focus on retaining my anger and jealousy."

"A real man will want to sort out their issues, not get defensive and ignore help. It's a strong move to make." Everett leans back in the chair.

"Those are the kind of words I need to hear," I find myself smiling. "I just want to make Cleo happy, and live the happiest life together."