Chapter Fifty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"But I am okay, Junnu," I tell him calmly. "And I have to go, I have things to do before the dinner tonight."

Arjun sighs. "Are you sure you're okay? Please don't stress yourself. First with the party last night and then the dinner tonight."

Deeming that it's just better if he knows, I come out with it all. "It's just the iron deficiency thing, because of my period this morning. I'm completely alright, I promise."

"Why didn't you say so before?" he scolds lightly. "But also, how come your period's come early this time? And I thought we were working on your iron deficiency?"

"I've been eating healthy, I've even been drinking the juice!" I defend myself quickly. "If iron doesn't want to stick with me I don't think I should be chasing after it."

Arjun gives me a look that asks me to reconsider what I just said to him, a look I'm usually known to give others. It is quite intimidating to be on the receiving end, to be completely honest.

"Fine, but I don't know what to do, I'm drinking the juice, I'm eating healthy— what else can I do?"

"We're going to the doctor soon," he states. "They'll tell you what to do—"

"I could just ask Dhriti," I suggest slowly.

"You would've asked by now if you had the intention of doing something about it, but since you clearly don't— we're going to take an appointment with a doctor," Arjun says with finality.

"Mhm?" I mock, "before you go to Dubai on the day after or after you come back— god knows when?"

When Arjun's expressions falter, I know I went too far.

"Junnu—"

"No, it's alright," he says. "It's true, I'm unavailable, but I'm not without care."

"I know that, Arjun—"

"I will have your PA fit in a doctor's appointment into your schedule at the earliest, and you will visit the doctor. I might not be able to be there, for obvious reasons but you will visit with the doctor and call me immediately after, to tell me what they said. Okay?"

I hold Arjun's face and press a kiss against his lips. "I will take care of myself," I promise.

Arjun's lips curve up into a smile. "Just until I'm back," he says. "When I'm back, I will go back to my full-time duty."

"Uh-huh." I nudge his nose lightly. "Even now, it's full-time work, only difference being that it's operational from a different location."

Arjun clicks his tongue, feigning remorse. "And I thought I could get time off."

I pout at him mockingly, "aren't you hoping for too much," I remark. "This is a twenty-four-seven, round the clock kind of work—"

"I particularly enjoy the night shifts—"

My eyes widen at the implication, and I fall mum, not knowing what to say to that.

When Arjun merely continues looking at my face, his countenance full of mischief and smugness, I try to make an excuse— "I... I should go and get changed, I have to prepare for the wedding—"

"Whose wedding?" he questions.

"I mean— the dinner!"

"But that's in the evening—"

"It'll be in the evening if I get things done now," I remind him.

Sighing, Arjun stands up. "Don't exert yourself, please. You did not look fine at the party last night, and your health is really stressing me out—"