Scene 16

We see AJ in the room again, this time far more calm. He's talking to himself, but not hysterically.

AJ: [calm] You're going to be okay. [takes calming breath][looks around the room] This feels oddly familiar... Right, that's where I am.

The scene melts into Gwen sitting slumped over at the kitchen counter.

Gwen: [in thought] Where could you be AJ?

[music starts playing as the scene transitions back to AJ]

AJ: [singing softly] Will this change my life? Will I see my wife... Again? Put through all this strife... Trapped with the man who's five foot ten.

The scene transitions to Gwen again, music still playing.

Gwen: [singing softly] Is he gone for good? Never to be seen in this neighborhood... Yet... If we understood, would it be safe to make that bet?

We see the couple's scenes side by side, both are singing more intensely.

AJ/Gwen: [singing with emotion] Will we meet again? Will we feel that sweet embrace? All my love, I send... And hope to see your face.

Gwen: When I lay down, will I die or just sleep? In my mind, I always stay true to you.

AJ: My soul for you I will forever keep, And if I die I will watch over you.

Gwen: May the stars bring us together again, And the fire in our hearts forever burn.

AJ: Our love can't be battled, it will remain. I want to sing, but it is your next turn.

Gwen: When we meet, I will hug you forever. Never to let you go ever again.

AJ: You'll be in my thoughts because you're clever. You're more than my wife, you're also my friend.

Gwen: [singing slows] You and I shall be reunited for good...

AJ: [singing slows] As any and all couples always should...

[the music slows to a stop]

The scene focuses on Gwen as the door opens and closes and Nate walks into view. Gwen perks up.

Nate: [concerned] Is everything okay? You seemed... frazzled.

Gwen: I have some news on AJ...

Nate: What? Good or bad?

Gwen: Well, a neighbor saw what happened...

Nate: [curious] And?

Gwen: They said that they saw two people, a woman and a man. One was dressed in a blue dress with long silver hair, the other was wearing dark clothing and seemed apprehensive. They said...

Nate: They said?

Gwen: [choking back sobs] They said they saw the man gag AJ, then pull a sheet over him and push him into the back of a van.

Nate: [confused] Why didn't they tell police

Gwen: They thought it was a video, they said they saw recording equipment.

Nate's face falls solemn and Gwen is able to conquer the tears.

Gwen: [takes a shaky breath] What did Devon say?

Nate: He was really vague. He kept saying things like "I've kept my hands clean" and "I'm not the one to blame".

Gwen: What... Wait. Does he mean what I think he means?

Nate: I- I don't know.

Gwen breaks open her laptop and pulls up her email.

Gwen: Nate, is there any way to recover deleted emails?

Nate: No, absolutely no way.. At least not that I know of.

Gwen: Shudge...

Nate: [slowly] Why?

Gwen: I think what's going on is in the emails that were deleted...

Nate: Well, I can't say much about that.

The scene fades as Gwen hangs her head in anguish.