Chapter 10

I sat there, shocked into silence, before Keefe spoke up. 

"No?" Keefe said. Lord Cassius gave him a disapproving look. 

"Don't tell me you're responsible for this, Keefe." he said, shaking his head.

Keefe, Ro, and I were all silent. It's not like Keefe could say it wasn't him, because, technically, it was. I though for a second before coming up with an idea. It was a long shot, but definitely worth a try. 

"Lord Cassius, I'm not pregnant." I said. 

"Miss Foster, I am fairly certain I heard the words 'The moonlark is pregnant' come from this room a moment ago. Don't try to fool me." 

"But that's exactly the point. You heard Ro say that the moonlark is pregnant. That doesn't necessarily mean me. There is a species of bird called a moonlark."

"Ah, I see. And why should I believe you?"

"Dad, does she look pregnant? You really think I would be responsible for that? She doesn't even like me, remember? She likes Fitz." Keefe said. I raised my eyebrow in his direction making sure only he could see it. 

So I like Fitz now, huh? I transmitted to Keefe, going into his mind so I could hear his response. He stifled a laugh. 

You better not. But I'd still love you, even if you did. Keefe thought. I blushed and he smirked slightly.

"Ah-hem." Lord Cassius said, pulling Keefe and I out of our secret conversation. 

"Yes, Daddy Dearest?" 

"I think Miss. Foster needs to leave. You and I need to talk." Lord Cassius responded.

"Oh, great. I wonder what Dear Old Daddio wants to talk to you about. In the meantime, I'll be gathering up my bacteria. I have some nasty new ones." Ro said, grinning wickingly. I shuddered.

"Yeah. Sure. Whatever. I'll walk Foster out." Keefe said, obviously annoyed. He grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door. We walked in silence until we were outside. And until we were sure that Lord Cassius couldn't hear us. Keefe turned me to face him, putting his arm around my waist.

"Do you really have to go?" he said, nuzzling his head into my neck.

"Sorry, lover boy, but I do. Your dad doesn't want me to stay and I need to smooth things over with my parents, anyways." I replied. 

"Ok." he said, dejected. "Can I come over tonight?"

"We'll see. I don't know how my parents would react to that." I answered and Keefe sighed. 

"I'll miss you." he said, lightly kissing my neck. 

"Me too." 

Keefe pulled his face out from my neck, but still kept his arms around my waist. He looked at me for a second before pulling me to him and crashing his lips onto mine. He kissed me passionately and fiercely. 

We both pulled apart, gasping for breath. 

"What was that for?" I asked, grinning and slightly flustered.

"Sorry, love. Just showing you how much I love you." he said. I saw right through it. I knew him too well.

"I'm not staying." I said.  

"Awwww, but Fosterrrr!" he whined. I laughed and ruffled his hair.

"Nope. You do not deserve Hair privileges after that." he said, pulling away. 

"Okay, then I'll just be on my way." I said, starting to pull out my home crystal.

"Wait, no! I'm sorry! You can have your Hair privileges back! Don't leave!" he said desperately. I pushed the crystal back in my pocket and grabbed his hand.