Walking On Air

Falling is a lot like flying, except there is a more permanent destination. In a few seconds I landed on something that bounced back. It definitely wasn't the ground. Opening my eyes I realized Sam had taken a high jump mat and dragged it to the edge of the roof. It wasn't just any high jump mat though, it was the blue one. My eyes widened as I scrambled off of it while screaming.

Sam stood there laughing his ass off, "What? are you scared of a little sex?," He continued to laugh and I continued to scream. "Okay, okay. Shut up, someone's going to think you've been murdered."

I stood there, my eyes still wide, and slowly walked up to him. I took his hand and lead him to the edge of the mat and then pushed him on it. "That thing is disgusting! Why did you drag it over here?"

He grabbed my hand and took me down with him. A smile never left his face, "Just because a couple hundred kids have had sex on it doesn't mean its disgusting."

"Yes, it definitely does," I looked at him in confusion.

"Okay, you're right about that I guess," He rolled off the mat. I jumped off and ran to the parking lot that was right next to the building.

"Where are you going?" He started to follow me.

"I saw something, come on lets go exploring," I motioned for him to look at the line of trees on the far side of the lot. He followed me to the tree line. The streetlights cast an eerie yet familiar glow over us, "I think.......that's.....a person..." I whispered.

"HEY!" Sam yelled. I nearly jumped out of my shoes.

"Why did you do that?!?! It could have been a murderer!" I punched him and he giggled.

"I'm pretty sure the only thing I killed was your virgin eyes when you got stuck in the boys locker room." A new voice chimed in. Kiran stepped out of the trees with that ever present smirk on his face. "Am I intruding on something, little bro?"

"We're barely fucking related." Sam looked at the ground as if he was a little boy getting caught stealing candy.

"I know, but you know how upset mummy gets when we don't get along," The streetlights cast a menacing glow over Kiran's face.

At this point Sam snapped, "SHE'S NOT EVEN YOUR GODDAMN MOTHER! SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH!" He punched Kiran square in the jaw.

Kiran was expecting this because he punched Sam in the stomach and the face and started kicking him when he was down. Sam didn't try to defend himself and went back to playing the little boy.

I hung on to Kiran's arm trying to drag him off of Sam, "Stop! What the hell? Kiran, stop hurting him."

He turned to me, there was no rage in his eyes, it was almost...joy. "Look Sammy, even your bitch protects you. She tries so hard to be hardcore but cant even handle her boy being beaten." He slunk away into the trees, chuckling to himself.

"Sam, you okay?" Anyone who wasn't blind could see he wasn't okay. He had a black eye and his lip was busted, where Kiran had kicked him there was a shoe mark and he took breaths in shudders. He slowly got up and winced at the pain it caused him,

"Yea, I'm fine. You got a place to stay? cause I don't think I want to go home like this." He looked at me hopefully.

"Well, my parents would freak if I brought you home but you can stay at Jenna's place. Her parents aren't ever home anyways." I helped him up, "It's not that far, you think you can walk?"

"Yea, yea, I will be fine," He waved a hand dismissively as he clutched his side.

"Okay one sec and we can head over there," I shot off a quick txt to my mom that a emergency club meeting had been called and I might not be home until morning.

I pocketed my phone and put Sam's arm around my shoulder so I could help him walk.

We walked in silence to Jenna's house. It wasn't far, but she has a long ass driveway, which is good for privacy though.

Sam sat down in the chair on her porch and I knocked on her window two times, one for each person that had arrived. I had been informed of this system last week, in case of an emergency.

We waited for a couple minutes until she finally opened the door, "You are lucky my parents aren't home, get in here I have the bathroom set up to treat you," She nodded to Sam.

"I'm fine," He insisted, "I just need a place to stay over for the night."

"If you stay at my house, you get treated." Jenna lead him to the bathroom and started to put a Band-Aid over his split lip. He just rolled his eyes and didn't resist.

After he had been treated and Jenna found some of her brothers clothes for him to wear and sent him to go sleep because he looked tired and needed rest to heal.

While Sam was sleeping we snuck into the kitchen and made mochas. We talked quietly so we wouldn't wake him up.

"What happened to him?" She asked, already half done with her coffee.

"We were exploring over at the school and Kiran came out of nowhere and just beat him up." I sat over my steaming coffee as I filled in the details of the fight.

"That sounds horrible, Kiran really needs to lighten up,"

"The only way he will lighten up is if you threw a lamp at him," I giggled. She laughed too. We talked about nonsense until the clock read 1:00 a.m.

"Well, we ran out of coffee, so we might as well go to bed," Jenna suggested.

"I agree, where am I going to sleep?" I raised an eyebrow.

"There is a sleeping bag in the guest room, I call the bed," She walked over there with a little smirk. A image of Kiran flashed through my head.

"Haha. okay, I can deal with the floor," I smiled and layed out the sleeping bag.

"Go check on Sam and see if he is sleeping while I change into pajamas," She motioned to the door.

"Okay," I padded down the hall to Jenna's bedroom where we had propped up Sam in a sea of pillows. The door creaked a bit as I opened it.

The pillows had been thrown off the bed and he cuddled one of Jenna's horse stuffed animals as he breathed in and out. I smiled, he looked so peaceful when he was sleeping. I pulled the covers over him and started to walk out the door when I heard him say, "Thank you."

"It's what friends are for. Get some sleep Sam," I closed the door and slipped into the guest bedroom to find Jenna passed out in the bed, "Goodnight," I whispered as I fell asleep on the ground. I didn't even bother with the sleeping bag.