"Tell me his name, and I'll see if he's willing to come visit you. From there, it's up to you." He winks, and I roll my eyes, telling him his name.

He vanishes, and I gasp. Right now?

Quickly, I smooth down my hair, fixing my outfit. I look ridiculous, all dressed up in bundles of clothing. Despite the constant roaring fire, I'm still always cold, so when Hale brings my Kyler up here, he's going to have to deal with the look of me.

I don't think that will be a problem. Kyler and I had a short tryst during our time working together a few years ago. I moved, so it had to end, but there were never any feelings involved.

He may not even want me now. If not, fine, but it's worth the try.

Hale suddenly appears exactly where he had been standing a couple minutes ago, a man right next to him.

That isn't Kyler...

I blink, staring at the strange man. I figured Hale had some magical ability to sense people, so I thought telling him his name isn't Kyler was enough. Clearly I'm wrong, because this tall, lean man with haunted eyes is not who I was expecting.

"Wait, this isn't Kyler," I breathe, taking a cautious step back.

Hale frowns, turning to look at the strange man. "What do you mean? He told me-"

The man pushes out of Hale's grip, charging toward me. "Vaela, I need to speak to you."

"Who are you?" I demand. Why would someone lie to a Pureblood? And how does he know my name?

"I've been having dreams about you. Fate has brought us together," he exclaims wildly. He looks crazed, eyes wide and dazed as he looks over me, as if he's confirming details about myself that I don't even know.

All of a sudden, he grabs my arm, yanking me toward him before he clasps either sides of my face, forcing me to look into his striking green eyes.

My entire vision is suddenly plunged into a thick, grey mist.

For a moment, it's just pure, burning pain in my head. He's a Gaze Reader, just like the one Hale and I saw. And there is no fighting back, my entire being now belonging to him and his power.

That is, until I'm abruptly pulled from the void, blinking as my vision returns, seeing the stranger has been pulled viciously back by Hale.

"Wait! He's a Gaze Reader."

"What do you want with Vaela?" Hale growls, pushing the man up against the wall. He startles, staring at the Pureblood like he's going to be torn apart, which at this point, is entirely possible.

"I've been having visions about her. She has upset the course of nature," he grits out, squeezing his eyes shut.

Hale, with his arm against the man's chest, pushes slightly harder. "Were you trying to kill her?"

The Gaze Reader's eyes fly open, looking straight at me. "I wanted to confirm my visions, and they are true. You are in danger."

"How?" I whisper, feeling panic constricting my chest.

"He's going to come for you...He's going to-"

Hale slams the man harder against the wall, causing him to gasp out in panic. "Who's coming for her?"

"I can't say this name. But you need to become immortal again before he can get to you," the Gaze Reader insists.

Whoever he is, he's terrified this man, which in turn, is terrifying me. Why can his name not be uttered? I thought no one would learn about my mortality, and more importantly, I didn't believe it would affect the course of nature...