16: The Discovery

Start from the beginning

"Look." The fatuus walked over to the white door and opened it. After he walked back to his original position, a girl who looked exactly like the one on the chair, was handcuffed by her wrists and ankles to the wheelchair, and was being pushed by another fatuus in a white lab coat. She was struggling.

The crowd became intrigued, yet couldn't believe their eyes. They saw a duplicate of the girl. Agent Ningguang furrowed her brows as she questioned it.

"What the fuck is this?" The queen said in disbelief.

"Your Majesty, allow me to explain." The male fatuus fixed his glasses. "As you can see, the real Kristina is the one on the wheelchair right now. I can assure you because this Kristina on the chair has a mark on her wrist that wasn't there before." He stepped toward the chair and he rolled up the sleeves of the girl, which revealed a dark red mark on her wrist. When the queen said nothing in response, the fatuus continued, "we don't know how this happened but we found her lurking on the lowest floor at night a couple days ago." We decided to do some experiments on her and we noticed this," he gestured for the Kristina on the wheelchair to come forward and when the fatuus pushed her closer, her body sank onto the wheelchair, appearing like she was suffering. On the other hand, the Kristina on the chair appeared pale and she was sweating as ever.

The male fatuus continued, "as the twins approach one another, they both encounter extreme pain and can feel the energy from their body drain rapidly." They watched as the other male fatuus tried to slowly inch the one in the wheelchair closer. Her legs trembled and she looked weak as ever. "We took note that the two experienced sudden weakness once a day but the pain will gradually increase overtime as days pass."

This... sounds familiar... agent Ningguang thought as she focused on the fatuus' words.

"Interesting." The queen felt her chin. "What happens if the two touch?"

"They will most likely be in more pain than ever if they get into contact."

It was as if the queen already knew what would happen, but continued to ask just for the fun of it. "You never know unless you try."

The male fatuus looked at her as he pursed his lips. "A-Ah, yes, Your Majesty, but that can potentially kill–"

"Do it." She interrupted with a stern voice. She glared at the fatuus until he finally nodded and followed through with her commands. The fatuus took a deep breath and he gestured for the other worker to bring Kristina even closer to the one on the chair.

As he did, she began to scream. Every inch closer, she shook her head violently with her eyes shut, as she acted like a wild animal. Meanwhile, the Kristina on the chair shook behind the cuffs and tears were coming out of her eyes. It seemed like the pain was no joke. The agent wondered what it felt like.

Finally, he brought the girl beside the chair and the twins looked exhausted and pale. There was no more screaming as it looked like all their energy was drained and the Kristina on the wheelchair dropped her head forward.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" The queen looked at them when the fatuus stopped a few centimeters from the chair. "She looks like she fainted already, but they haven't touched yet. Go on."

The fatuus was hesitant for the first few seconds but then proceeded with her words. The Kristina on the chair was no longer moving and her eyes were shut.

When he uncuffed the left wrist of the one on the wheelchair, he lifted it and brought it to the other Kristina. He placed her hand on the other's stomach and the next thing they knew, a white explosion occurred and the two workers in the room were blasted to the sides of the room. Everyone at the window covered their eyes with their arms while turning away, while Zhongli and agent Ningguang could only press their eyelids shut and shifted their heads away.