"....Well, alright. Step one! Pick up all of the large broken bits, like those planks of wood over there, and put them in a pile. We might need it for other stuff like boarding windows later, so we'll hold onto them for now."

Yu nodded, already moving to pick up the miscellaneous scraps of debris around the room. Elle nodded in approval before picking up scraps of wood and fallen paintings as well.

"After this, we can probably start setting the furniture upright. Though, if we're staying here long term, it may be best to dust first....so that means we need to find a closet with a broom or something. Or we can check if there are towels in the kitchen..."

"I'll check the kitchen, and you can look around upstairs maybe?" Yu offered.

"That could work, but if you go into the kitchen, you need to be careful of mold. There's probably spoiled food in there, so..."

"I can handle that. I can see if there's a fridge while I'm in there and empty it out, in fact."

"...Thank you for your sacrifice."

Yu laughed at the solemn expression on her face, dumping his pile of wood and stuff next to the staircase. He glanced around the room as Elle added her armful to the pile, already seeing a noticeable improvement from when they had first entered. Man. Elle really wasn't kidding. He picked up a tiny rug that was haphazardly thrown over a couch.

"What do I do with this?"

"Shake it out outside! We can find a place for it once the floor is clear and we know where we're putting all the furniture." Elle called. Now that it was just the two of them, her voice was notably louder and more confident. He could hear her from across the room.

Yu nodded, scooping up the rug, and headed for the door.

"I'll be back!"

"With a vengeance?"

Yu snickered.
"Of course!"

Elle watched him disappear down the hall, then surveyed the room. There weren't any large enough pieces to put in the scrap pile anymore, so she directed her attention to the staircase.

"Well, time to see how sturdy this thing is."

Upon first examination, none of the boards were obviously rotting, so that was a good sign. She slowly climbed up the stairs, staying close to the wall, and the steps held up surprisingly well. She nodded in approval as she safely reached the second floor.

There were a couple doors to her left, as well as another flight of stairs that went up to a third floor. She would have to check that out later. For now though, she turned to the right, seeing a short pathway that served as a balcony overseeing the main lounge, and two doors past that. One of them had to be the broom closet, and she was willing to bet it was the narrow door tucked right at the end of the hall by a second, albeit smaller, staircase.

She opened the closet with only a little trouble. It almost felt like someone was holding it closed from the other side. The door opened without problem after a while, so she figured it was simply disuse and old hinges. She didn't hear the mischievous chuckle, nor see the pale figure that disappeared down the hall.

In the closet, there was a broom and a few dust cloths, as well as around five or six buckets, which she happily took. She also found a mop, a duster, and a couple towels, so she picked up those as well. It would probably be important to check if the building had running water...she would ask Yu once he came back in.

Elle carried her armful of supplies back to the lounge, dumping them onto the couch. She picked up the duster, swirling it around wherever she could reach that had a cobweb in it. The dorm was starting to look livable, if she said so herself. Yu came back in just as she was finishing dusting off a rocking chair.

"Wow, this place almost doesn't look completely abandoned anymore."

"Well, it isn't completely abandoned anymore, since we're living here now. I found some dust cloths and towels, so we're set to go, pretty much. All we really need now is a trash can."

"My journey to the kitchen becomes more important by the minute I see."

"Yup! Oh, would you also mind checking for running water while you're in there?"

"Yeah, I can do that." Yu agreed. By now, the lounge looked acceptably...not in complete disrepair. The boy nodded, pleased with the work they put in. He nudged the curled up rug with his foot, rolling it out fully. The tail end hit the ground with a *Thwap*. There. Better.

"Hey, Elle, I think this place is pretty much done for now, at least until we can afford actual cleaning supplies."

"Hmm, yeah. We'd need a ladder to hang up those paintings, and reach those cobwebs....how about I go clean out some rooms for us? It's getting late, and we have to sleep eventually."

"Oh, that would be fantastic. You really wouldn't mind cleaning a room for me too?"

Elle waved her hand dismissively.

"Yu honey, you're braving the kitchen. I can handle a couple dorm rooms."

Feeling the familiar heat rush to his face, Yu nodded quickly, turning towards the doorway leading to the kitchen.

"A-Ah, well, if you're sure! I'll get to work on the kitchen then!"

"Are you alright, Yu?"

"Yup! Peachy!"

"Alright...if you're sure..."

With one last inquisitive glance, Elle shrugged, heading up the stairs once more. Yu really needed to get used to her nicknames. He shook his head, walking into the kitchen.

~~~
New week, new chapter!

I really like developing Yu as a character, it's so fun writing their dialogue. If you couldn't tell, I am completely winging the layout of the ramshackle dorm. I am simply working with what I have and squinting at background art we just gotta roll with it.

Story progress hasn't been the fastest, I know, but I wanted to work on relationship building and stuff for a bit, so ramshackle renovation arc is a bit longer than usual lol. I swear plot will continue after a couple chapters I simply am invested in the dorm repairs.

Hope you have a great Monday!
~Astroleap