Ch 6: Confrontations & A New Ally

Everyone was starting to panic. Ryder had been kidnapped and was in real danger, and the pups had no idea what to do.

"Pups, what do we do?!" Captain Turbot exclaimed.

"We-We don't know." Chase replied.

"Well, we need to rescue Ryder!" Rubble exclaimed.

"And we will." Skye reassured.

"But what was Sweetie talking about?" Rocky asked, "What is the Ruby of Ezra?"

"Ohh, I know what that is." the Princess replied.

"What is it?" Alex asked.

"It belonged to one of the Queens of Barkingburg, Ezra." the Princess replied.

"I've heard of her." Marshall said, "She wasn't very nice, wasn't she?"

"No she wasn't." the Princess replied, "She was very materialistic, and that ruby was her most prized possession."

"Where is it?" Zuma asked.

"Actually, right here." the Princess replied. She opened a compartment on her belt and took out something. It was a necklace with a small, red ruby hanging from the chain.

"My father gave this to me for my birthday." the Princess explained, "I've always kept it with me."

"But why would Sweetie want that ruby?" Francois asked, "It doesn't look very important."

"Well, there's a legend that says it's magic, but no one knows if it's true." the Princess replied.

"Maybe the jewel's not for her, but maybe her partner. Like you said it could be magic." Farmer Yumi suggested.

"You could be right." Katie said, "We can't let the jewel fall into the wrong hands."

"But we have to save Ryder!" Zuma cried, "If we don't, who knows what'll happen to him."

"We'll figure out something pups." Chase said, his worry for his leader starting to take over, "We'll figure out something."
———————————————————
Meanwhile at the Lookout, Ryder was still gagged and tied up. Humdinger and the kittens kept beating and scratching the poor boy. Sweetie thought it was pretty funny, while her and Humdinger's partner just sat in the shadows watching.

"You all are never gonna get a way with this Sweetie." Ryder said defiantly, "The pups and I will make sure of it."

Then, one of the kittens scratched him across the face, narrowly missing his eye.

"Oh are you sure?" Sweetie asked, "You're here, and the pups are somewhere else. They're probably struggling to even make a plan right now."

"I know that the pups will come up with a plan!" Ryder exclaimed, obviously not giving up, "Like I say, no job is too big, no pup is too small!"

Mayor Humdinger responded by punching him in the face.

"Oh really, cause right now, you look pretty small and helpless." the sneaky, cat loving mayor snickered along with his kittens, "You know, it so interesting to see that beneath the tech gear, leadership, and determination, you're still a little kid who couldn't do anything to save his parents."

Ryder shut his eyes as he tried to fight back the tears and bad memories of that day that were welling up. Sweetie, Humdinger, and the kittens snickered. A couple of the kittens then scratched the poor boy hard and drawing blood.

"Humdinger, make your kittens stop." the figure snapped, "We can't have him die of his injuries before sundown."

"Why not? It's more fun that way!" Mayor Humdinger whined.