Ch 4: Home Invasion

The team was in complete shock. Their worst nightmares were real. Sweetie, Mayor Humdinger and the Kitty Katastrophe Crew, and their mystery partner had taken over and sabotaged their Lookout and home.

"OH NO!" Skye yelled, "This is really bad!"

"Ryder, what are we gonna do?!" Mayor Goodway exclaimed.

"We're on our way." Ryder reassured, "Stay calm and stay hidden until we get back."

"Please hurry!" Francois exclaimed in his French accent.

As Ryder hung up the call, he turned to the royals.

"Your Highnesses, I'm sorry, but we have to head back to Adventure Bay now." Ryder said.

"Why? What's wrong?" the Princess asked with concern.

"Sweetie, Mayor Humdinger, the Kitty Katastrophe Crew, and their partner have taken over Adventure Bay and our Lookout!" Ryder exclaimed.

"Oh my word!" the Earl exclaimed.

"But wait. How did they know we were in Barkingburg?" Rubble asked.

Ryder thought about it for a minute. Then his face went pale and his brown eyes widened. "Maybe Sweetie took the sapphire to lure us here. Then she, Humdinger, the kittens, and their partner watched us leave and then they attacked!"

"So it was a trap." Marshall said.

"And we fell right into it." Chase sighed.

"It'll be alright pups." Ryder said, "We just need to head back home."

"Wait, I'm coming with you." the Princess said.

"Princess, it's far too dangerous." the Earl said putting his hand on her shoulder.

"The Earl's right Princess." Ryder said, "This is far too dangerous. You could get hurt."

"Sweetie is my pup, and I need to bring her back." the Princess replied firmly, "And when I do, she'll be getting the scolding of her life."

Knowing that the Princess wasn't going to back down, Ryder agreed.

"Alright, but please be careful." Ryder said, "We don't want Barkingburg's future ruler getting seriously hurt."

"Plus, wouldn't you like to change into something more comfortable?" Rocky asked as the Princess was dressed in a turquoise dress.

"Oh right, give me a moment." the Princess said as she went off to change. A few minutes later, she came down wearing a scarlet red top and pants. Her boots and gloves were white, and she was wearing her pearl necklace and tiara. Her belt had gadgets and compartments on it.

"Wow, cool outfit." Zuma complemented.

"Thanks." the Princess said smiling, "I was hoping to go on a mission with you pups one day."

"Come on everyone." Ryder said, "Let's get back to the Air Patroller and get back to Adventure Bay."

As the team and the Princess boarded the Mission Cruiser, the Earl came out and caught up with the Princess and said: "Princess, please be safe."

"I promise Earl." the Princess reassured.

The doors to the Mission Cruiser closed, and the team headed back to their underwater HQ. As they headed back, Ryder was deep in his thoughts. But as he was thinking about everyone in Adventure Bay, one particular person entered his mind first.

Katie.

Ryder hadn't told anyone, not even the pups, about it, but he had always had a crush on her. Maybe it was because she was like him in many ways. Kind, gentle, compassionate, loved animals, always willing to help out. He had been wanting to tell her he liked her, but he didn't know how. If his father was still alive, he would definitely ask him for advice.