03 | Guess he hates that word, too

Start from the beginning

"Legacy?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Yes, legacy. But before I tell you about yours, I want you to see for yourself. I want you to discover it," he smiled, coming to a halt in front of one of the books and taking it out of one of the shelves.

Before I had the chance to look at what the book was about, he hid the cover by lazily letting it hang down in his hand.

"And how will I discover it?" I asked, playing along in this little game he started.

Only, I had the feeling it wasn't much of a game anymore.

I could feel how he was holding back a grin as the one word I was tired of hearing escaped through his lips.

"Patience."

I bit the inside of my left cheek, desperately trying to control the words that were trying to get out. And they were definitely not good ones.

When I focused back on his face, I saw him looking back at me with a smirk on his lips.

Oh, how much I wanted to slap it off-

"Are you done?"

I snapped out of my gaze. "Huh?"

"Are you done?" he asked me again.

I nodded, letting a calm look return to my face. Of course he had to ruin that again.

"Good, because I thought patience wasn't much of your thing."

"Of course it is," I said through gritted teeth. "Why would you think it wasn't?"

"Oh, no reason," he answered me before walking past me towards the door. I did see his smirk as he walked past, though.

Knowing I couldn't get anywhere on my own, I followed the old man out of the room like a lost puppy.

He wordlessly went over to the other side of the place where another hallway led to another dark place, to which we lit torches again. Once we got to the end, there was a single door.

Wu opened the door, and immediately some sort of light shone through. He got rid of the torches again and walked in with me following him.

When I was able to look around, I was instantaneously greeted by shouting.

"You're ruining our streak!"

"I am not! You didn't pick up the power up, so we're stuck running instead of being able to fly!"

"Whatever!"

I gave Wu a questioning look which he returned with a shrug. The voices came from two different people, probably two men because of the deep, partly raspy voices.

We were surrounded by all sorts of things; a pool table, a dartboard hanging on the wall to my right with a few darts stuck to it, a bookshelf covering a quarter of the room (which I assumed was where the people were behind, because I couldn't see anyone at first glance), many posters of different things like bands and famous movies covering the walls, beanbags and chairs all over the place, a white fan in a corner, a whiteboard on the opposite wall which had what I assumed was an unfinished game of hangman written on it, and a round table in the middle of the room.

There were also sounds of aggressive clicking of controllers, and game music.

After a few more moments of awkwardly standing in the doorway with Wu next to me, he let out a sigh and went to the wall next to the door where a big, red button was located. He waited for exactly five seconds before pushing the button, causing the game music to stop abruptly.