Chapter 12: Mantis Talking

Start from the beginning

"Can I carry them?"

Immediately Quirrel felt the ice and fire flow through him. On the one hand his wife had a serious and almost deadly expression that clearly said he could not allow her to take them, but on the other hand, Dimityr had a threatening look with the implicit message that if he made Clare sad he would pay dearly. Fortunately a mosskin arrived to help him.

"Your majesty, the eggs should not be removed or handled in excess, that could kill the creatures inside. In fact the ideal would have been not to take them out of the nest, the best thing for them is to take them to their new home and accommodate as soon as possible. In addition, the eggs are not very different from a boring rock, when the child are born it will be more interesting and you can play with them."

"Ah... Well... Okay, then I'll wait for them to be born."

Quirrel sighed in relief. He noticed that Hornet now seemed calmer and Dimityr on her part... She had a red face and looked agitated. The idea of imagining her beloved Clare playing with Hornet's adorable grubs touched her and excited her equally. At least the vessel didn't have too many problems inher queen approaching harmless offspring.

The pillbug began the march towards the archives, his place of work and home during the next few days. Both had decided that they could no longer leave the eggs alone or in charge of people who did not have the strength to protect them, they did not want another loyal spider like Ania to end up injured. That is why they would hide them in the archives, nobody would think about looking for them in a place like that, in addition, Quirrel would be there to protect them. Even if he was a pillbug, he knew very well how to wield a nail and defend himself, and if it was for his children, he would become an implacable adversary.

But just for their protection, he should stay day and night in the place. He didn't like this much, but at least he had work to entertain himself and the place was wide enough not to feel locked up. Hornet would visit him every night, because of her duties as queen she could not be with him all day, but surely his friends and work colleagues would keep him company during the day. It was curious how sensitive he had become, for a long time he was a wandering traveler who roamed wild lands in absolute solitude. But now his pillbugs instincts seemed to have exacerbated and he longed for the company and the warmth of a family, perhaps he had become accustomed to a quiet life and in society, or was the age that began to weigh.

.................................................. .......

Endless drops fell on Orchid's head, the mantis was amazed feeling the water slide on her shell, although if she considered it well, over time maybe so much water would become somewhat annoying, but the city's insects didn't seem worried about this. They ignored the rain and dealt with their affairs.

The mantis had asked Hollow where all that water came from. Shehad heard stories that in the surface sometimes drops fell from the sky, drops so large that they could drown an insect and kill it, but the water here was soft and fine . The knight with his best letter had explained that above the city there was a huge underground lake, whose water seeped through the rock and then fell over the city. This information activated her innate curiosity and immediately expressed her desire to visit that place. The bug offered to take her there, but Orchid didn't know how to react to this offer.

The truth was that there was no logical reason to reject Hollow's proposal, but the disaster in which the Lord's mind had become prevented her from accepting it at first. Being close to him ignited her desire and increasingly she enjoyed being by his side. In general his kind and attentive treatment was beginning to soften her and that was something she didn't want to allow. But on the other hand, the idea of seeing a huge underground lake attracted her. She had already been impressed with the beauty of that city, now she wanted to see more, she wanted to explore and discover all the mysteries that the world outside of Fungal Wastes had to offer.