15 - Little Men

Content warning: minor depictions of harm against fictional characters.

I rounded the corner of the town centre, sprinting as fast as I could from the high school to the hospital. Serpents weren't fast like we were so even if they did see me they wouldn't be able to catch me, unless I ran into one of them of course.

I dashed past buildings with broken windows, some were trashed inside and others had small flames enveloping the interiors, they were trying to burn my home to the ground. I didn't have time to stop and think about the fact that there might be people inside those buildings, dead or alive that needed help.

"There's one!" I heard a man yell out, obviously another serpent guard alerting his comrades about my exposure, I pushed my legs to run faster. I couldn't get caught, I needed to get to the hospital and find a medic for my best friend.

The students were now left vulnerable and scared inside that school, Ayla was dying and there was no one around to help protect us, where were our warriors?

The serpents began to chase me, four of them to exact, i willed myself to get me to the hospital safely. Looking behind I saw that they were close but they didn't show any indication of slowing down.

"Goddess help me." I pleaded to myself, calling on the sun goddess to help me get there safely in anyway possible.

I passed the town centre and witnessed a dozen of our warriors fending off the enemy, bodies from both sides laid still on the ground, no sign of life from what I could tell, my heart began to ache.

I never wanted this, I never thought my in lifetime I would see a war happen in our society let alone in the place I call home. This is the only place in the world where I belonged and it was falling before my eyes.

In the distance my ears picked up on the screams of fellow werecat women and I felt the goosebumps raise across my body, the violence made my blood run old, those poor women I couldn't imagine what they must be going through right now

As I ran across an alleyway down the street towards the hospital my body collided with that of another as they tackled me. My body fell off the curb and into the road hard as they landed on top of me, I could feel the scaly hands trying to grab hold of me and I opened my eyes to meet that of a serpent woman.

Her jaw was clenched and her eyes roared with anger as she glared down at me, I tried to wrestle her off me but I just wasn't strong enough as she brought her arms up and wrapped her hands tightly around my neck.

"Puny runt." She spat as she squeezed tighter, I began to choke. "We'll kill all of you for killing our heir."

Their heir?

I wanted to shift, I had to in order to save my life at this point, the woman was going to suffocate me.

I never liked shifting into my full form because I wasn't just a runt naturally, my lioness was also much smaller than other Werecat's.

As I felt my nails elongate into that of claws and hair began to sprout from the pores across my body I watched through blurry eyes as the woman was tackled off of me in a second, the weight of her lifted from me and I took the opportunity to roll over to breathe, choking as the air burnt my throat and filled my lungs. I was saved but it was still dangerous to sit here like like a piece of meat, I forced myself to stand up on my feet to run away.

Curious as to what happened to the woman I looked over into the direction she was thrown into, witnessing as a large wolf ripped her head right off her body, it was Demetrius.

I mean it must have been, there were no other Werewolves in the territory as far as I knew of, father wouldn't allow anymore than just one in here if he could.