Chapter 2: Past in the Park pt 1

"Edith get up!" I feel a sudden shaking as my blanket was torn off my body. The frigid cold and the yelling as an abrupt awakening.

"What Kat?!" I quickly sit up, getting her to stop shaking me.

"Arthur is back in town."

"Arthur?" I just look back at her in disbelief. Before I knew it we were walking down the brick street. Continuous thoughts clouded my head as I sped-walked through the neighborhood. Poor Kat kept trying to keep up with me and explain the situation.

"I read in the newspaper this morning that Arthur and his family had lost tons of money with the stock market crash in America so now they are moving back here! In this town no less." She said this all as if it were a fun fact she had just learned.

I couldn't help but throw my head in my palm. This is terrible news.. with him moving back here my mom will have no reason not to be watching my every move. I stop and just slouch against a nearby building and felt defeated.

"If you don't mind me asking... what's the whole story behind this Arthur guy? All I know is that there is some history between you two."

I sighed as I looked down to her like a sick puppy. "It all started 4 or 5 years ago. I was 15 he was 17 and both of our families were starting to lose money fast. Our families figured that if they combined both our fourtunes they could continue their comfortable lifestyles and last through the money crisis but it didnt really end up working like that..."

At this point Kat was proped up on a random stoop and listening to every word like I was about to read her a bedtime story. "What happened?"

I rolled my eyes expecting not to give this much detail. "Just was us being stupid kids..it wasn't meant to be." I took a breath out whilst saying the last bit. She huffed and continued by my side as we started to walk again.

There continued to be a silence for a while. I could tell Kat was dissatisfied knowing she wouldn't be able to get anymore juicy details even if she tried. I hate hiding more things from her than I already do but then again... whats another thing she doesn't know in my whole, secret family life?

"So where are we going?" Kat finally broke my deep thought. To be completely honest I wasn't sure I just didn't want to have this conversation around my mother.

I could see Kat notice my loss for thought. "How about we just have a quiet day at the park? We need some fresh air from this city smog. Do your head some good." She smiled at me and took my hand tword that way. She knew that I had no true plan but just needed some relief.

I knew I didnt deserve a friend like her.

We eventually got to a park. The knolls of grass and random placed trees were a nice break from the smoggy and dark hue of the streets of London.

I just look into the sky and fall into the soft grass. Not listening to cars or distant conversation. Just the small breeze.

"Are you okay Edith? You seem even more quiet than normal.." Her face showed actual concern. I wasn't one for talking or spilling my thoughts but I was starting to question why I keep so much away from her. Of course I didnt get to ponder that question long before I get my awnser.

"Edith...I think I see Arthur." She looked passed me, her eyes stuck on him as she tried to figure if she was purly imagining it.

I look and finally find she wasn't, some how by mentioning his bloody name we manifested him. "Fucking hell."

"He can't be all that bad now, I mean people change especially from you to being kids."

"It's not him I'm worried about.." I make the quick comment before I regretfully catch him looking at me and then head my direction.

"Edith? Its been so long! You look so different I barely recognized you." He gives me a big squeeze and I nearly pass out.

I nearly die from the awkwardness. (And the hug) "Heh yeah thats what growing does to you...um so how have you been?"

"Struggling sadly, my parents just lost the last of their primary stock so we are relying on savings at the moment." He looked away, I could tell its really been causing him stress. "How about you? How's your grandmother? Oh! How's Sebastian?"

I became flustered unsure how to answer any of the questions but before I could do anything Kat quickly intervened. "Who's Sebastian?" She looked to both of us confused and curious.

Arthur gave himself the honor of explaining. "Oh, its Edith's Grandmother's rabbit. That rabbit was-"

"Fluffy! Yes my grandmother's rabbit was very very fluffy." I quickly interrupted Arthur before he misspoke. I couldnt let Arthur make me sound insane in front of Kat, my mother fought too hard to fix our reputation.

Arthur now was looking at me confused as well.
"Hey, Kat, aren't you late for something?"

She looked at her watch and her eyes widened. "Gosh I am! Thanks for reminding me Edi, I'll meet up with you later bye darling!" She continued to yell as she ran through the park.

That was convenient..

"What's wrong with you Edith?" Arthur signals me to sit on the bench beside him, I hesitantly obey.

"I've been getting that question a lot actually.." I sigh looking down to my lap. Starting to wonder if my facade of being perfectly fine is starting to get weak.

"Answer Edith." His voice was a lot deeper than I remember, a lot more grown.

It was the first time I faced this truth, first time it came out from my lips. "Alice is dying, Arthur."

"Your grandmother Alice? No. She couldn't be.."

"Face it Arthur we all have grown up into the next phases of life...hers is.." I couldn't say it.

He looks around, looking for anyone listening in. "Without Alice..what's gonna happen to Wonderland?"

ʚ🐰ɞ

Wooo what a doozy of a chapter. (Least took a lot to write Lol)
I updated the info chapter to have a picture of Arthur so go check that out😎

Hope you loved this chapter if you did please vote and comment your thoughts!

Gonna try to get these out as fast as I can without rushing anything so wish me luck ಥ⌣ಥ
~Sage