Struggle With Control

Luffy sat in his chair, kind of bored, but behaving well. Smoothie looked pretty in her dress, and her hair was done up. But despite this being her wedding day, she rarely smiled. When Luffy quietly asked why Smoothie looked sad, his father said, "She's just worried something will go wrong, but she's happy about being married." Luffy hoped she smiled soon, and sat in the white chair, one of the twenty people attending. Sanji was sitting next to Luffy, his gloves a pretty ivory color to look nice. Not his usually rough, fire proof gloves.

When the ceremony was over, Luffy wasted no time going to the buffet table, and eating as much food as he could until Sanji hurried over and told him to stop stealing the food. But there was a ton of food! More than enough for 20 people to have a comfortable amount. "Still! You look obnoxious."

"Obnoxious?" Luffy asked, cocking his head. His neck stretched and his head fell on the ground. Luffy laughed, and it was snapped back in place, making him fall on his butt, but luckily not into the table. Smoothie walked over and asked for Luffy to let the other guests have food. He pouted, but did as she asked, and didn't eat anymore. Even though he'd eaten most of the served meat.

Katakuri suggested he go and wash his hands, as they smelled like meat now. Though Luffy wasn't bothered, the smell of meat was always welcome! But he did as he was told, and zipped to the bathroom to wash his hands. The wedding was in a small venue, a pretty room with big windows to the outside and a large sliding glass door to let fresh air in.

It was clear that Smoothie's new husband's mom didn't like Luffy being there. He didn't bring any blood, even if Smoothie wouldn't care. But Luffy was trying his best to be a good boy. Katakuri was irritated with the glares, but didn't want to cause a scene, so he distracted Luffy, even if he wasn't overly bothered.

It was near the end of the reception, the adults drinking smelly wine, when Luffy felt a lance of pain go through him. It was a familiar feeling. Zoro had shifted! Luffy ran to his father and begged to have his phone to call Zoro. Sanji was there, seeming worried, too. Katakuri gave his phone, and before he could ask what was wrong, Luffy was on the phone, calling Zoro's dad.

He didn't pick up at first, so Luffy kept calling for the next five minutes until he did. "Luffy, he's doing okay."

"What happened?!" Luffy exclaimed, standing outside, though still in view of the others inside. Koushiro explained that someone broke into the property and Zoro shifted when he broke the door down. Luffy's eyes widened when he was told Zoro bit the guy. "Oh no!"

"Don't worry, he didn't change. It's not the full moon, so the bite isn't contagious," he assured Luffy. Zoro was in his room, sleeping it off. It hurt a lot, but he acted on instinct. Luffy was shocked, and wondered if Zoro was glad he finally was able to turn into wolf form not only on a full moon.

Luffy had the call on speakerphone so Sanji could hear, too. "Is he okay?"

"I don't know. He fell asleep instantly when the man was out of commission. He is okay, he just has a very nasty bite mark. He's been taken away by police." Luffy worried over Zoro, a lot. But Koushirou promised to have Zoro call when he felt better and was awake. He had to go, wanting to watch over Zoro for now to make sure he was alright.

The call was over, and Luffy had tears in his eyes, and wiped them. "Are you okay?" Sanji asked quietly. Katakuri was inside, listening at the door that was open wide. Luffy nodded, and then went to hug his dad for comfort. Sanji looked sad, left out. He walked up to Luffy, and asked if he'd ever explain the bond.

It had been nearly a year since they met, and he still didn't know. Luffy was unsure of whether they'd tell him, ever. It now felt like something private, that he and Zoro never shared with others anymore. He said he wasn't sure. "I won't judge or anything. Just... we're friends, and I'm sad I still don't know."