Reunited

Katakuri was back at work now. It had been a few months of waiting, but he eventually needed to be kept busy, and returned to helping kids with their problems. Not in the way Luffy was being helped, but he was a licensed therapist for traumatized children. It was partly this job that made him parent how he did. Because he knew what was bad, and what worked in parenting.

His coworkers often asked about Luffy, wondering how he was doing. Katakuri would tell them his successes, but never the failures. Like how he went on a rampage in the padded room because he wasn't given the right blood type. Though that hadn't been odd or surprising since it was the day after his friend was finally discharged, having been there before Luffy came.

Luffy was alone, and was having a hard time with things now. Hopefully he'd not stall his progress too much. So his coworkers were in the circle of people wishing well for the boy. He had so many people rooting for his success. Katakuri just wished he could know that. His memories hadn't returned fully. He remembered food he liked, and the kiNds of toys he liked, but nothing of the people in his life.

Coby missed him, and wanted to see him even more now that he could be a regular kid and play with others without being scared of the negative consequences. He was hurt that Luffy didn't remember, but knowing it was the same with everyone else was a secret relief for him. Though it was obvious to others. They didn't say anything because Coby wanted to hide that feeling.

His brother and sister wanted to meet Luffy now that they were allowed to. Luffy had many people looking forward to his "graduation" and return. Many parties would be thrown if it was okay for Luffy. After all, being around many people at once could be hard. The smell of them circulating everywhere might be difficult or overwhelming.

He still described the scent of normal humans as "yummy", but he could also comment on other smells. Like their shampoo or perfume. So it was an improvement. A big one, according to Conis, the leader of the institution. Even though she'd never dealt with Luffy before. She was a normal looking human, so she only worked with the other children.

Katakuri was cooking lunch when there was knock on his door. He went to it, and saw through the peephole that it was a boy with green hair. Katakuri knew who it was, and opened the door with a smile. "Zoro," he greeted. The boy looked surprised at Katakuri's height, being almost a full normal sized person taller than him. Katakuri saw a car with who he assumed his father was in. "Would you like to come in?" he asked.

"No, I just have something to give you," he said, not sounding worried or nervous about the size of the man in front of him. He'd no doubt not known what to expect, since Luffy didn't remember and couldn't describe him in any way. He handed Katakuri an envelop. "It's from Luffy. It also has my number on it. Will you tell me... when Luffy comes out? I still wanna be his friend," Zoro said firmly.

Katakuri smiled at him, scarf on so only his eyes showed the smile. "Of course. Thank you for being there for him."

"How is he doing all alone?"

"Things have been a bit harder, but he's improving because he wants out as soon as possible to not be alone anymore. Not getting along very well with the others there," Katakuri replied honestly. Zoro looked down, and Katakuri said he and Luffy both had to look forward to being reunited.

"Yeah. Promise? You will tell me when he gets out?" His face and voice were firm and challenging. Katakuri vowed to do so, and Zoro turned to leave before saying he looked nothing like Luffy. The boy was tiny, and Katakuri was huge.

"Well, that's because I adopted Luffy," he said honestly. Of course Luffy didn't know that right now, and so Zoro hadn't known. He smiled at Katakuri and then left, saying nothing in response. The father went back inside and to the couch. The food wasn't anything that could burn. Just a sandwich.