She ran up to him, reaching out to grab his wrist and pulling him with her. She briefly noted that she was wearing the exact same robe as him.

"W-Woah!"

"I'm not about to ditch you, let's go!"

"Uh, right!"

"Get back here!"

The two sprinted down the halls, a fire cat hot on their heels. Elle made sure not to let go of his wrist. His safety was her priority.

Eventually, they came to a stop in what seemed to be a library. The boy braced his free hand on his leg, breathing heavily.

"If this is a dream, I'm ready to wake up now." He whined.

Elle, despite also being out of breath, rubbed small circles on his back. He found himself leaning into her touch, reassured by her presence. She had quickly become his one rock of sanity in this crazy place since he woke up around ten minutes ago.

Suddenly, familiar blue flames burst to life in front of them.

"Foolish humans! Did you really think you could slip away from ME?"

Elle stood protectively in front of the boy.
"Stay behind me." She murmured to him. He nodded, albeit hesitantly.

"Now, unless you want to get burned to a crisp, take off that-"
Suddenly, a whip came out of nowhere, grabbing the cat monster.
"Me-YEOW! That hurt! What gives?"

"Consider it tough love."

A new person arrived, and if Elle wasn't on guard before, she sure is now. This guy was dressed in a sparkly black suit, with black feathers on his shoulders and a mantle that resembled wings. He had a top hat with a mirror, three keys, and another feather on it, and he wore a mask over his....glowing yellow eyes? It somehow resembled a corvid of some sort. Were...were his ears pointed??? They were! What is this guy?!

She stepped closer to the boy, never taking her eyes off of the strange man. She was checking her peripherals for any possible escape should this interaction go south. The boy peeked over her shoulder, confused.

If the man noticed her suspicion, he didn't show it.
"Ah, I've found you at last. Splendid. I trust you're two of this year's new students? My, were you ever eager to make your debut. And bringing a poorly trained familiar with you? That is a clear violation of the school's rules."

Students? So this is a school. Despite having a million questions running through her head, she couldn't bring herself to speak. She didn't have enough experience with this person to know how to safely navigate a conversation, so she froze, studying him. Instead, the boy behind her tried speaking up.

"He isn't either of-"

"As if I'd serve some lowly human! Now lemme go!"

This crow guy must have a talent for not listening to people, because he ignored both of them.

"Yes, yes. Rebellious familiars always say that. Do be quiet for a bit, won't you?"

"Mmmrph!"

The whip was now covering the poor cat's mouth. No wonder he acted out if this is how he was treated most of the time.

"Dear me. Of all the students I've dealt with, you're the first with temerity enough to open their own gates and step out of them. Does the very notion of patience elude you two? No matter. Your orientation has already begun. Let us return to the Mirror Chamber."

Seeing as Elle was still frozen in place, the boy decided he would do the talking for them.

"Gate...?"
Very eloquent.