Chapter 3: Escapism Isn't The Same As An Escape...

{*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^}*-Simon-*-Simon-*-Simon-*-Simon-*-Simon-*{*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^}

"-nd then Aiden screamed and jumped up on the table and came THIS close to knocking over the game console and usually Mike would be yelling about nearly damaging the equipment but he was too distracted trying to figure out where the damn ferret ran to before it bit a customer instead of just the idiot game tech who decided it'd be a good idea to smuggle his new pet ferret into work.

Plus it's kinda hard to yell at someone who's most likely gonna need stitches and a round of precautionary rabies shots before the days out.

Though if anything else at least the ferret ended up with better off for all the insanity...when the store quieted down we ended up finding the little guy curled up asleep in one of the cubbies. Astrid decided she was confiscating it as Aiden clearly wasn't responsible enough to have him. So technically she kinda stole his pet but...well...can't really argue with the logic. Plus after suffering a dozen ferret bites in less than half a minute Aiden seemed more than okay with it...

He said he'd drop off the food, toys and bed on his way home from the hospital. If anything Astrid's happy with her new pet- even bought it a collar from the pet store next door...I mean it's for a cat but she insists it'll be perfect." Kevin trailed off with a disbelieving laugh, shaking his head before pausing, head tilting, smiling expectantly at Simon.

Oh uh...crap...

What'd he just say?

Something about a cat? Someone at work's cat...or someone got a cat...

Something work and cat...

A cat was loose at work? No...that can't be it...why would a cat be in an electronics store? Maybe it's after a mouse...oh man...least he managed to keep the painfully bad joke internal...that's something almost...but w-

Kevin's smile dimmed a bit, eyebrow quirking faintly in annoyance.

Oh crap you're taking too long, he's staring-he'll know you're not paying attention. Quick just guess! Say something! Anything!

Something, work, cat, go!

Simon startled faintly, setting up a bit, blinking, giving a slightly forced laugh and a too bright smile, nodding quickly.

"Oh umm...yeah...that's good...c-cats are good...very good..." he trailed off, smile picking up to what he's certain is probably a Cheshire cat on a manic sugar high level.

Kevin blinked in confusion, giving a kind of unsure little half nod.

"Uh...y-yes...yes they are..."

Simon blinked back, nodding like a bobblehead, smile somehow ratcheting up even more to a near painful degree, interlocking his fingers on the table in an attempt to keep the face palm and groan internal.

Oh good lord...

'Cats are good?'

Are you freaking kidding me? 'Cats are good?' That is the best he can do for off the cuff, think on your feet responses?

Oh dude...first mission he is toast.

He can't even manage a half-ass convincing filler comment during a chat with his best friend. What kind of a snowball's chance in hell odds does he have against real agents...counter agents...counter agents who want to kill him...or worse...because apparently there IS a worst option. Namely these Collective people finding out about his being an apparent functioning Nexus.