10: Claw of the Eternal Beast (1)

Start from the beginning

They passed more clumps of bamboo, the tall green stalks clacking and creaking as they knocked together in the light breeze. Their footsteps crunched across leaves on the ground.

"Why isn't your demihuman attendant with you today?" Lu Baiyu asked, breaking the silence. He didn't look at her and kept his gaze fixed ahead.

"I asked my fox to run an errand for me. But I'm sure he'll come to pick me up."

Lu Baiyu raised an eyebrow as he looked at her. "You have a very interesting attendant, and you seem to trust him that much. I was wondering how did you two meet?"

Shu Yue smiled faintly. "I met him twelve years ago in a forest. He was like an abused puppy, untouchable. There were hunters around at the time. Unfortunately."

"You helped him escape from the hunters. And now he owes you his life." Lu Baiyu frowned thoughtfully, then his lips curled into a crooked smile. "It makes sense. A defenseless creature, and a young one at that. Such act of kindness has bound him to servitude."

The smile on Shu Yue's face melted in an instant. She didn't like how Lu Baiyu phrased it. It sounded as if she was forcing Xiao Ran to serve her--as if his situation was no different from being a slave.

That was never her intention for helping him. She helped him because she saw herself in him--because he was just like her. Above all, she never considered taking advantage of a demi-human. Her own kind.

"I never asked for his service or wanted it in the first place," Shu Yue said with a forced smile. "But he begged me to, and he had nowhere to go."

"You have such a tender heart, young lady. Maybe that's also the reason why the demi-human chose to stay with you." He went silent for a few moments before continuing. "But be careful, as that's what could one day land you in hot water. Those demi-humans... Such creatures cannot be trusted."

Shu Yue nearly laughed. Lu Baiyu dared to warn him about her fox? If there was anyone she shouldn't trust, it was him.

She remained silent for a moment as she let her mind drift back to the events of twelve years ago. She could still remember it, the way Xiao Ran kneeled before her feet and begged her to take him as her servant, and the way he kissed the back of her hand to pledge his loyalty and service.

For a lifetime.

Twelve years ago, Xiao Ran offered his entire life to her.

"He promised to protect me forever." Shu Yue wasn't sure why she said that all of a sudden. But maybe she was just looking for a particular reaction from the old man.

A strange smile shaped Lu Baiyu's mouth. "Interesting."

Shu Yue tilted her head slightly to look at Lu Baiyu. "I wonder, does the role of bodyguard suit him?"

As expected, Lu Baiyu gave her a look as if to say that she was being ridiculous. "A fox-human with only one tail won't even stand a chance with a dog. Demi-humans aren't cut out to be a human's bodyguard. That's a spirit beast's job. Now that you have a soul-binding scroll, getting yourself one is a piece of cake."

Shu Yue smiled kindly.

Of course, humans never expected a demi-human to be strong. They were not allowed to cultivate skills, according to the empire's rules, so they stay as an E-rank. Even if their respective masters were willing to grant them permission, a demihuman should only learn basic techniques.

Because humans were afraid. If demihumans grew in power, humans would no longer be the absolute ruler. So they devised a strategy to prevent this from happening. And the result of that strategy was the current state of demihumans.