7

"Paano mo nalaman ang totoong pangalan ko? Ikaw din 'yung tumawag sa akin kaninang umaga diba? Kundi dahil sa'yo at sa tawag mo nakapag-almusal sana ako. You don't have the right na pagsabihan ako sa kung anong gusto kong gawin. I don't even know you. One more thing, paano mo ako nakilala? Paano mo nakuha number ko? Are you stalking me? Bakit ka kilala ng magulang ko? What do you want from me?" Maine said in one breath, not letting me answer her questions.

"Tapos ka na? Pwede na ako magsalita?" I asked, she shrugged and did not reply. I took that opportunity to explain but before doing so, Nico preceded.

"Eh kasi nga Maine-"

"Manahimik ka!" Everyone yelled at the same time. Nico pursed his lips and ducked his head in embarrassment.

"Mas mabuti iwanan muna natin ang dalawa para makapag-usap." Tito Teddy suggested and everyone obliged, walking out the door one by one.

Maine looked at the clock and said, "You have 5 minutes to explain yourself. Go."

"I uh um Maine kasi ano um paano ba 'to? Mommy help me." I panicked and begged mom for help.

"Bilisan mo, you're running out of time."

"Maine sandali lang naman." I took a deep breath, "I got your number from Daddy. Your parents and my parents are friends. Ngayon ko pa lang na-meet sina Tito and Tita personally but matagal na kaming magkakilala." I explained, hoping she would believe me.

"Why did you message and call me very early?"

"For your information, you were the one who called me, I just messaged you."

She cleared her throat, "Um wrong call." I smiled and looked at her teasingly, "Don't change the topic, RJ. Why did you message me?"

"I don't know. There's something with your digits that attracted me to message you."

We heard some muffled screams and hits with exclamations outside but we didn't bother.

"Paano mo ako nakilala?"

"Nakukwento ka na ni dad and ni tito."

Someone coughed and I'm very sure it came from the outside of the room.

"Okay, your explanations are accepted para makalabas ka na." She said, quite louder and gazing at the door.

I sighed in relief, "Eat first and rest a little bit para mamaya pwede ka na bumangon."

"You sound like a doctor, Mr." She giggled and I chuckled.

"I am. I am your doctor for today." I proudly said with a grin.

I got the breakfast tray and poured some Sinigang at the top of the rice plate. I was going to feed Maine but she stopped me.

"May kamay ako." She showed me her hands, "I can eat on my own, doctor."

I sighed and gave her a pout, letting her eat on her own. To my surprise, she put the spoonful of rice in my mouth.

"Akala ko ba ikaw ang kakain?"

"I heard your stomach rumbling. Nakakain ka ba?"

I scratched my head, feeling guilty, "Hindi ata?"

"See? Kung hindi ako nagtanong, magpapalipas ka pa ng gutom. Meron ka pang 'wag na matigas ang ulo, Nicomaine' tapos ikaw naman pala mas matigas ang ulo." She rolled her eyes at me, but was still feeding me.

"Akin na, susubuan din kita. Ikaw 'tong may swero pero ako ang pinapakain. Let me do my duty as your doctor." I insisted and she couldn't do anything about it.

We spend our afternoon talking about anything and everything in this world and feeding each other.

My stomach is not the only thing that is full, my heart as well. It is full of glee and contentment. My heart that was once broken down into pieces is starting to be whole again. All of its wounds and cuts are gradually being healed. It's funny how I proudly call myself Maine's doctor but she was the one who healed me. Healed me with a meal. O baka kaya may nilagay na gayuma ang babaeng 'yon? Eh kaso ako naman ang nagluto.

//

"Grabe sakit ng tiyan ko kakatawa sa'yo." Maine laughingly said as she held her tummy.

"Sobrang kabusugan lang 'yan. Teka, ibababa ko muna 'tong pinagkainan natin."

I was about to twist the door knob but I heard some whispers.

"Mukhang nagkakamabutihan na ang mga anak natin, balae."

"Oo nga. Hindi na makatotohanan ang mga tawa ng Junior ko eh. Ang corny pa ng mga banat jusko."

"Pabebe pa 'tong Menggay ko."

"Tiklop kaagad ang RJ ko."

"Sa tingin ko hindi na aabot ng isang taon 'to."

"Magpapasukat na ako ng barong."

"Maglilista na ako ng mga ninong at ninang."

They exchanged banters and laughed heartily. As I opened the door, wanting to catch those gossipers, I saw the important men in Maine and my life. They're playing the all time favorite game of the world, Bato Bato pick.

"Paano ba yan, Richard. Talo ka nanaman."

"Alam ko na kung kanino nagmana ang anak ko." Dad then turned to me, pretending to be shocked, "Oh, anak nandyan ka pala. Si Maine kumain na?"

I nodded, looking at them suspiciously, "Opo, nagpapahinga na. Bakit po kayo nandyan sa may pinto?"

"We are waiting for you. We have to talk about it already." Tito Teddy said seriously, showing his strict aura. Anyone who sees his stern look and manly demeanor will shudder and fall to the floor. I'm not that anyone. I prayed to all the saints and pontius pilates I know to give me strength and not end up falling.

I took a breath as deep as the sea. This is it. My decision is final. I am healing and ready. Healing from the ghosts of the past and ready to face what's more in the future.

With all the strength my body still has, I lead the way towards my office, allowing the two of them in. The moment I close the door, I know a new phase has begun.