Skipping From Red to Blue

7 years after...

"Thanks a lot ma'am" Yijin said, as he smiled at the makeup artist. The older woman blushed prettily and left. It didn't matter how long Yijin had been doing this, he still always felt surreal when he sat in this chair. At 33,  he was the youngest person to ever make anchor at the station.

At the time he had first received the recommendation, he had thought it would never work because life loved dealing him blows than helping him. Besides, although the ideals of society was changing thanks to IMF crisis and the turn of the century, he was still only a high school graduate. A lot of times, he felt like his achievements were undermined because of statements like 'wow, for a high school graduate, you really handled that well'.

Two years had passed since he became anchor and seven years had passed since his break-up with Na Heedo. Thanks to therapy, he was no longer in the dark place he was, but now he understood and regretted not allowing Heedo into his trauma. He understands now that he could have healed faster.

It had taken a year of therapy before he eventually broke down and told his family what he had been struggling with and for the first time in two years, he had breathed easily and slept without medication; well Yihyun had slept hugging him, big spoon style.

Currently, his visits to the therapist was once a month and he had shown great progress. He had come to accept that he will forever love Na Heedo and she would always have a part of him. Since making peace with that, he spent less time obsessing over her and cheered for her from afar, making sure the news about her from his side was the truth always.

This evening, for the first time since his break-up with Na Heedo, he had a date. One of the directors of the station had taken a liking to him as well as his daughter so they had set up a date. Yijin was attending to be polite but he knew the questions in his heart directed at whoever wanted to be with him: do you mind being second best? are you comfortable with me never loving you? are you happy with me hanging her picture in my room and having it in my wallet? do you mind that the centre "art piece" of my apartment is a fencing gauntlet and helmet?

Yijin sighed; in all honesty he had no reason to complain. He was living his best life. His job was successful, his family was together and he was taking classes for a diploma in communication. He was handsome, comfortable, warm and happy. Five years ago, this was not him. He could not even look to the sky without shame.

Now, he skipped between the highs and lows of life, counting his blessings and regrets on two different hands. As the camera light came into focus and he received the signal from the director, his thoughts came into focus as well.

Yes, Yijin thought, let's continue to do what we are used to. Eventually, I'll do what I really want to do.

A/N: What do we think?? Let me know in the comments 😀
Live and Love!!! 🥰🥰🥰