Chapter Ninety - Epilogue

Start from the beginning

"Oh, please, you're wearing that thick ass shirt and those." She glances at his sweatpants, and he follows her gaze, smirking at her. He extends his hand to her, and she sits her palm on his. "I'm surprised you haven't had a heatstroke yet."

"I'm not gonna lie, I'm on the verge of passing out. After we give this back, let's head to McDonald's and get some water." She chuckles dryly. He lifts her off the bike and wraps his arm under her neckline. Mary strolls toward them with a brown-toned baby on her hip.

She's wearing dark shades that match her corduroy dress and black turtleneck, and her long hair is in a French braid. Judith glances at them, having to look twice before rolling her eyes.

Jesus H, this town is huge yet I'm constantly running into this bozo? Maybe I should move to Morehead.

"Well, look what the cat dragged in," Judith monotonously says before glancing at Jerome. His expression softens as he silently coos over her child; he always adored babies. She stops in front of them.

"And what the cat threw up," Mary remarks. Judith narrows her eyes at her comment before rolling them. As she folds her arms, Mary looks at Jerome. "Big 'Rome. I haven't seen you since..."

"Yeah, I know. It was a crazy year." He takes a deep breath, glancing at his girlfriend at his side.

"So," Mary drones, shifting her weight onto the other foot. "Uh, how are things?"

"Fine. We're enjoying the day." Judy turns her head to gaze at the pale blue sky and white clouds. "Well, what's left of it, at least."

"How's David?" Judith pulls her lips into a straight line, tiny dimples appearing on her cheeks. She drags her wide eyes to her spouse, shooting daggers at him as Mary clears her throat, staring at the pavement between them.

"He's, uh, still in the big house," she reminds him, chuckling dryly at the blunt question. She lifts her chin and watches Jerome nod, his eyes glazing over.

She and Judith look at each other for a moment, recalling the brief times they shared involving the parties Judy would carry her out of. Judith sees flashes of them in court; Mary pregnant and her incessant crocodile tears almost fooling the jury into sympathizing with him, Kacey dressed in palazzo pants and a blouse between her team of lawyers, and David smiling at Judy to intimidate her whenever they made eye contact.

"So, um, this is Carly," she asks Mary while staring at the infant in a caramel brown romper. Its mess of black ringlets falls to its shoulders, a few tucked behind the left ear.

"Charlie," she corrects her with her usually stern tone, not breaking eye contact until Judith glances at Jerome. "I named him after my grandfather. He died during the Pearl Harbor bombing; a true American war hero."

Charlie's deep brown eyes flicker onto Judy's as she looks forward. She gazes into his irises, examining the little specs of moss green David used to have when they were seventeen. His full lashes, vaguely reminiscent of baby spider legs, and his almond-shaped eyes are all David's.

"Well, it was nice seeing you," Jerome says, forcing a closed-lip grin as he tightens his fingers around Judy. He and Mary avert their attention to Judy. "We should get going. After our drink, I gotta stop by the house to see Xavius."

"You're still living with your mom?" Mary raises her brows, the corners of her pink lips raised. He glances at her pearly whites, then into her blue eyes. "Jesus H, Big 'Rome. I figured with the money, you and your boys would've moved on your own."