Chapter Fifty-five

Judith's sitting in a chair by the pool with two blonde women she doesn't recognize. The night air brushes against her skin, and as it irritates her breasts, she suddenly wishes she'd worn a bra with her costume.

"So, who're you supposed to be?" She looks behind her, and towering over her is Derek Oliver. His hair is slicked back, and he's wearing jeans and a black leather jacket over a white shirt.

"Let's get out of here," one of the girls mumbles, and Judith and Derek watch them hurry into the frat house.

"Take a guess." The light breeze ruffles her skirt, and as he takes a seat beside her, she crosses her arms over her chest.

"Pink heels, pink skirt, pink shirt," he says under his breath, looking at her from her toes to her head. "You got me stumped."

"I'm Mercy from that movie called The Warriors. It was a big thing around February and March," she explains, and with his lip pouting, he shrugs his shoulders.

"Sorry, I've never heard of that." She looks at the blue water and squints her eyes as the light reflecting from the moon reaches her face. "By the way, have I seen you around campus before?"

"Yeah," she drones questioningly, looking at him out of the corner of her eye. "I used to kick it with Mary around the time you two had it out for each other."

He rolls his eyes onto the building when Judith mentions Mary.

"Speak of the devil," he mumbles, and Judy follows his gaze. She's standing under the archway between the kitchen and the backyard with sorrow painted on her face.

David steps behind her, and as he draws his hands around her waist, Judith turns around and sighs. He walks her into the house, and Derek returns his face to her.

"That slut has the attention span of a goldfish and the decency of a prostitute," he says as he lifts the left side of his jacket off his chest.

Judith doesn't respond, but her stomach tightens with discomfort by his statement. He takes a thin white marijuana cigarette from his pocket and leans on the edge of the chair, pressing his elbows against his knees.

"Do you wanna hit," he asks, holding it between his right hand's middle and ring finger. She glances at him, then at it, and shakes her head.

"I don't smoke," Judith tells him, then peeks behind them at the sliding door. He snickers, and she looks at him.

"You're yanking my chain." She knits her brows. "I thought all black girls smoked."

Judith rolls her eyes and stands to her feet, sending the smile off his face. He watches her walk toward the door, and he sits the cigarette between his lips as she steps into the kitchen.

Mary's sitting on the island with her back to Judith and her legs and arms wrapped around David. Though his hands travel to her backside, that doesn't disgust Judith, the way they hungrily kiss each other does.

He's wearing a matching creme tuxedo and fedora with black suede shoes, and Mary's donning a black full-body suit that clings to her slim frame like latex.

She strolls past them and into the foyer just as Cyrus and La'Shawna step through the doors with their elbows interlocked. Her long hair is loosely curled and pinned to appear short, and his dreads are pulled into a bun.

"Hey," Judith cheerfully greets them with a toothy grin, but La'Shawna turns her head to the living room. "Listen, Juniper told me you're upset with me, and I didn't mean to cause such a big – thing. I just wanted to try to fix this campus, but I'm sorry for involving him and almost having him expelled."