Chapter Fifty-eight

After lunch, while the boys and Robbie ran into the backyard with their step-grandfather – Walton – the women and Vera remain in the kitchen.

While Judith scrubs porcelain plates and glass cups in the left sink, Vera rinses and dries them before stacking them neatly in the rack beside the right sink.

Stacey is sitting at the small round table in the kitchen, running her fingers along her shoulder-length Fulani braids and listening to her mother speak to their step-grandmother.

She's a brown woman with silver, loosely curled hair and a chubby, unshapely body complimented by a fall-patterned dress.

"It's a shame what happened to your husband." Fiona lifts a dish of food from her fridge, and Judith glances over her shoulder at them, the sponge prying away the gunk on the plate. "When Walton told me the news, I almost cried with him. He was like a son to me."

You never even met him. What're you talking about?

"He talked about you," Sheryl lies, and Judith blinks back from surprise. "I wish we would've come around more and let the kids get used to – everything. I'm sure they feel like they're in the Twilight Zone."

"Well, our home is their home, and maybe tomorrow, they'll get more comfortable being here." Sheryl lifts the lid, and Fiona shakes the stiff stew into the wastebasket.

A hard thump against glass makes Judith and Vera flinch. The ladies turn to the sliding door, their faces showing worry as Stevie falls into Malcolm's arms. Judith and Vera leave their wet china and follow Sheryl to the patio door.

Sheryl draws it back and opens her mouth to speak, but nothing comes out.

"Did the child forget the door is glass," Fiona asks, and when Vera chuckles, Judith glares her into silence.

"He wanted to ask if we can walk to the candy store up the road, but yes, ma'am, I think he forgot it's glass." Vera and Judy step back as Sheryl pulls her son upright and into the kitchen. His eyes flicker left and right, and he stumbles on his feet.

"Will he need to go to the hospital," Vera asks. Fiona walks the bowl to the remaining few in the sink, and when she sits it down, she leans against the counter.

"I'm fine." Stevie dusts off his cardigan sweater and slacks without a noticeable jitter. "Ma, can we go?"

Judith furrows her eyebrows at how quickly he regained balance and his sudden shift in tone.

"Only if Judith agrees to go with you." She and Sheryl lock eyes, then turn to Vera. Fiona crosses her arms, and Stacey watches Robbie step around them.

"Momma, please, can I go too," Vera begs, and Sheryl nods. Robbie walks toward his wife with a musky trail of motor oil clutching his clothes.

"Excuse me? I'll need for you to go outside and hose off." Fiona stares sternly at him without blinking. "Now, I don't mind you helping Walton, but keep the smell outside."

"Yes, ma'am." He returns to the backyard, and they avert their attention to Sheryl.

"Yeah, I'll take them." The twins cheer before she can finish her answer, but when Malcolm clears his throat, Stevie forces himself to relax, and Judith makes a confused expression.

***

Stevie, Malcolm, and another boy named Isaiah stand in front of the white shotgun building's three steps while Judith and Vera order candy from the window.

"Check it. All I need is Babe Ruth, and my set is finished," Isaiah announces, tucking his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

"Babe Ruth don't count as a real Yankee," Malcolm says with contempt. Stevie's staring at a girl with a honey blonde ponytail and morning blue eyes standing in front of the door with her left cheek stuffed.