Chapter Twenty Three - The Horns of War

The air was cold in the way that wrapped around your head and squeezed. I exhaled, and watched the condensation rise up into the air.

The Arkenstone was heavy in the coat pocket someone had lent me - it was a bit too big for me, but I appreciated the gesture, and I always liked baggy clothes anyway.

Bard rode the horse in front of the stone wall the dwarves had built. Somewhere up there, Uncle Bilbo would be standing, waiting for Thorin to take the bait and everything to go back to normal.

An arrow pinged off the stone path right in front of us, causing Bard to halt in surprise. My grip around his waist tightened ever so slightly before relaxing again.

'I will put the next one between your eyes,' Thorin said, and the dwarves cheered. I felt sick - they didn't know I was right behind Bard, I was too far away for them to see, but the fact that they could support such needless violence put doubt into my mind.

I slid off the horse and landed softly on the ground next to Bard. The cheers stopped immediately - I could almost imagine the whispers on that wall.

'We have come to tell you,' Thranduil said, 'payment of your debt has been offered. And accepted.'

'Always so dramatic,' I muttered, and Bard let out a small chuckle. It was such a tense atmosphere, we could all take what we could get to find something to laugh about.

'What payment?' Thorin called down. 'I gave you nothing! You have nothing.'

Bard nodded at me, and I stepped forward, pulling the Arkenstone out of my coat pocket. Thorin lowered his bow in shock.

I felt like a dirty traitor, but I reminded myself that this was the only way to keep a peace.

'They have the Arkenstone?' This was Kili, and his voice was so like Fili's it hurt. 'Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king!'

'And the king may have it - in our good will,' Bard said calmly. 'But first he must honour his word.'

'THE ARKENSTONE IS IN THIS MOUNTAIN!' Thorin yelled suddenly. 'IT IS A TRICK!'

There was a short silence as some commotion occurred. Then Thorin's voice came floating down.

'Throw him from the rampart!'

My heart plummeted as I realised he was talking about Uncle Bilbo.

'Oh, Mahal,' I whispered. Even Thranduil looked concerned.

Thorin began yelling again, but a ringing in my ears had drowned him out. I felt unsteady, like I would collapse at any second.

'If you don't like my burglar,' Gandalf boomed, just at the moment I stumbled backwards slightly - I was thankful for the timing, it meant everyone else was distracted whilst I regained my senses.

'Then please don't damage him,' Gandalf continued. 'Return him to me! You're not making a very splendid figure as king under the mountain, are you? Thorin son of Thrain!'

Thorin said something, but all I was focusing on was Uncle Bilbo scurrying down a rope, and only let myself relax when he had joined us.

'Are we resolved?' Bard asked. 'The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised.'

Thorin didn't answer, looking off into the distance.

'Give us your answer!' Bard demanded. 'Will you have peace or war?'

A raven - massive and cawing harshly - landed on the battlement beside Thorin. They stared at each other for some time.

'I will have war!' Thorin called down.