We need to talk

(Marius)
When we pulled away from each other, I was happier than I had ever been before .
Eponine blushed furiously and started to fiddle with the hem of her top, avoiding eye contact. She looked... Guilty? I brushed these thoughts aside as I continued to stand there gazing at her.

After a pregnant pause, she mumbled something to herself and hugged me. "what was that 'ponine? " I chuckled, using the nickname that I had called her five long years before.

"Nothing... It's just... Never mind, it doesn't matter " she sighed. Still clutching at my shirt.

We stayed there for a while before I realized someone else was in the room.
●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●
(Eponine)

After tossing and turning for hours on end, I decided that it would be impossible to try and sleep, so I crept downstairs attempting to not wake Enj up. I grabbed a jacket and slid out the door, closing it with a soft click .

I didn't have a specific destination, but before I knew it, I had ended up in front of Marius' door. He opened the door, looking tired , his hair messed up by the obvious constant tossing and turning he had experienced too.

Before I knew it his lips were on mine, and images flashed around me, from days gone by when we were young and carefree...

●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●●_●

" Eponine! Come outside and see what I made for you! " he yelled excitedly from the doorway. At just twelve years old, his excitement was contagious to a nine year old me.

I stood firm and put on a act of mock defiance. "Nope! Not until you tell me what it is! " he sighed deeply and ran into the room where I was sat tossing a small wooden ball from one hand to the other.

"Eponine Thenardier, if you don't come outside right now I'll tickle you so hard you'll regret not coming outside to see my surprise. " at this, I arched an eyebrow and replied darkly with "You wouldn't dare " .

At that moment he rushed forward picking up my tiny frame and spinning me in circles. After putting me down he began to feverishly tickle my underarms , sending me squealing in delight and shock. I ran towards the doorway and out him chasing after me....

I stopped as soon as I saw it. On the old tree in the center of the square, I saw a small heart with the words

M + E
= Best friends forever

At that moment he leant in and kissed me. I pulled away sharply and stepped backwards, my cheeks flaming . "what was that for? "

"I think I may love you 'Ponine... "

I muttered these words to myself as I thought things over . He had loved me when we were young, but his stupid fantasies of true love drove him away from me.

"what was that 'Ponine ? " he chuckled, using that oh so familiar nickname.

I hid my burningly embarrassed face in his chest as I muttered a response.

I could hear a soft breathing sound from around me. I closed my eyes and focused on it. It sped up, faster and faster, but Marius' chest was rising and falling slowly . It wasn't my own breathing.

Then I remembered the night of the barricades ,and I knew who the panicked breathing belonged to.

It was Enjolras...

And he'd seen everything....