"Oh, hi Lacey." I said quietly.

She must have noticed I was kinda in a bad mood.

"What's up babe? You seem down?" She asked.

"Oh, it's nothing." I lied. Big time.

"Oh, okay. See you around." She walked away. See that's what I mean, she's not really the friend type.

I sighed and went back to taking orders.

-

Just as I finished my last order of the day, Jack came up to me.

"Meredith, can I tell you something?" He asked. I reluctantly nodded. "I'm sorry for how I've been treated you, I've been a dick."

Oh?

"Save it, I heard what Shawn told you. Now you just feel bad for me. I don't need your pity. I'm fine." I snickered.

Fucking hell, I just can't be nice to him at all can I?

"Fine, I'll just leave you alone from now on. Sound good?" He snapped.

"Gladly." I chocked out.

Then Shawn came walking around the corner, the look on his face went from happy to sad once he saw me. I was just a mess, I'm holding back tears as it is.

He raised his eyebrows at me. I just nodded.  He knew what was going on.

So he took that as a cue.

"C'mon Mer, let's go get some coffee or something." He said and we went into the kitchen, to clock out.

"Ugh, now he just feels bad for me." I complained.

"It's fine, just forget him for now." He suggested.

That's the thing, I can't forget him. He's always on my mind.

Once I clocked out and got changed, I was waiting in the lobby for Shawn.

I sat down on one of the chairs and went on my phone.

A girl who looked around my age sat next to me. She smiled at me, I smiled back.

Once Shawn came out, both of us stood up. Both of us looked confused.

"Ugh, Shawn are you ditching me for this whore again?"

What did she just call me?

"You better take that back, or I'll beat your ass so hard." That came out way meaner that first anticipated.

"Shawn! Are you really gonna let her talk me like that?" She whined. Oh god, she's exactly like Tara.

"Maddy please, now is not the time." He said.

She just rolled her eyes.

"You've rain checked me twice Shawn, I was looking forward to tonight. I really wanted to see that new movie with you." She whined again.

"I'm sorry, I just can't tonight. I promise we will another night okay?" He offered.

"Fine, but next time you ditch me for her, we're done. Got that?" She said before turning on her heels and walking out.

"You don't have to stay with me, I'll be fine." I said. I kinda feel bad that he's ditching his girlfriend for me.

"Are you sure? Because I have no problem with it." He really didn't have to stay with me.

"Yes. Go, go be with your girlyfriend. I wouldn't want your relationship to be over because of me." I said sympathetically.

He smiled, before chasing after her.

I guess I'll just go home and watch sad movies.

Sounds solid if I do say so myself.

-

When I got back to my apartment, my so-called mother was sitting on a bench.

"Can I help you?" I wasn't in the mood.

"Please, just sit." She patted the space next to her. I groaned, but did as she said.

"So, you want to know the real reason I've finally reached out to you?" I nodded. "Well, when you and Ryan were born, your father and I were in a very rough spot in our relationship. So, I figured you guys would be better off without me. So after you were allowed to leave the hospital, I fled. It definitely didn't feel good though. But I knew it was the right thing to do. I'm so sorry Meredith. "

Well, at least I got a straight answer.

"Thank you for telling me the truth, I appreciate it. But uh, what's your name anyways? I'm not too comfortable calling you mom just yet." I chuckled.

"It's Allison." She smiled.

"Well, Allison, would you wanna come inside and we can have tea or something?" I offered.

"I'd love that."

For the first time in eighteen years, I felt truly loved by one of my parents.