Chapter 45

Everything fell apart. Grace was divided from her friends. She also lost Harriet, Aris, and Sonya in the chaos. After the first several explosions, she searched the ledge for her friends. They were gone. The ridge wasn't hit. That meant they ran down to help. She tried desperately to find them, but too much was going on.

Explosions happen in every direction. WICKED soldiers repel from the helicopters, shooting electric prongs at people. They weren't trying to kill anyone. WICKED needed as many immunes as possible. Grace had no idea where to go. "Grace," a voice shouted. "Grace!" It was Mary. "Come on!" They had to find safety. There wasn't time to search for the others, but Grace didn't plan on leaving, not without her friends. She ran with the older woman, who was leading the group. "Come on! Go." Electric prongs fly past. People were screaming.

WICKED soldiers chase after them. People fell, but she kept running. Grace glanced to her left and noticed that Mary wasn't beside her anymore. "Mary?" She went back to help someone. The WICKED soldiers now have her. "Hey!" She couldn't stand by and do nothing. They owed the woman everything. Grace ran forward. It was only one soldier. It seemed easy enough. "Hey!" She rammed her body into the man, who went down easily. Unfoartunly, Grace fell to the ground as well. The man Mary went back for got up and ran away.

"Stop!" Another soldier pointed their weapon at her. "Don't move." Grace was captured easily but found some comfort knowing the unknown man got away. Maybe he would get to safety. 

They roughly yank her off the floor. "Hey," Mary yelled as they dragged her away gently. "Don't hurt her!"

They don't listen or care. The man Grace knocked down was angry as she fought him. "Stop moving!" The last thing Grace wanted was to be taken by WICKED, so she kept fighting.

Harriet and Vince were on the back of a truck, firing at WICKED soldiers. Frypan, Minho, and Newt rush toward them. "Harriet," Minho shouted over the gunfire. "Where's Grace?" That's all he cared about.

The last person he saw Grace with was Harriet. But right now, that's on the bottom of her priority list. "I don't know!"

There wasn't time to look for her. They had to hope she was okay. "How can we help?"

"Cover us," Harriet yells in response. There is gunfire all around them.

"Ammo!" Vince lowered the gun. "Do you know how to use this?" Minho pumped the shotgun in response. "Good. Cover me. This fifty's our only chance." Newt and Frypan get weapons of their own. They started shooting at WICKED soldiers.

It was complete chaos. Everyone was running for their lives. Half of the tents were on fire. The group on the back of the truck put up an impressive fight, but an electric grenade takes them all down at once. After that, more fell before, and soon nobody was left standing.

~~~~~~~~~~~

All the helicopters have landed. Everyone from the Right Arm had been taken by WICKED soldiers and pushed into a common area. Grace was forced onto her knees. The others were as well. She was between Aris and Frypan. Minho was a few people away. He glanced at her, but she never met his gaze.

Everything had fallen apart so quickly. For a brief moment, they had peace. They were safe. That was all gone now. Grace couldn't bear the idea. Sonya was forced onto the ground beside Aris. "Line them up on their knees." There were rows of people, all on their knees. There was one person Grace didn't see. Thomas. "Put eyes on that ridge."

One of the men scanned Sonya's neck. "B4." Jorge once mentioned they were tagged.

Grace watched as they scanned Aris. "B2." She caught a glimpse of the screen. It said B1, The-. She can't read the second word.