Chapter 22

Grace tossed and turned on the uncomfortable Glade floor all night, but she refused to leave. She wanted to stay and be there when the doors opened. Only then would she be able to accept that Minho was really gone.

The doors rumbled to life, but she didn't wake up. "Guys," Chuck called out. "Get up!" Grace's eyes flew open, and she forced herself off the ground. She stood in front of the doors as they opened.

But there was nothing, just an empty corridor. Any hope that Grace had vanished. They were gone. "I told you, Chuck," Newt said. "They're not coming back." He turned around, placing a gentle hand on Grace's back. "Come on, Grace." He didn't want her to stand in front of the doors all day waiting for Minho to return when he never would.

Grace walked away with Newt, an unknown pain growing in her chest. She didn't know how to feel. Her best friend was gone. Minho was gone. "No way," Zart said.

"Yeah!" Grace spun around at his words. To her shock, three figures were walking down the Maze corridor. Thomas helped Minho drag Alby's body. The other Gladers laughed in amazement.

Grace was shocked to see them. She couldn't believe they were alive. Minho was alive. The Gladers ran forward as the three got into the Glade. Grace couldn't move. She couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"I got him. I got him," Jeff said. He helped lower Alby onto the ground. "Watch out. Easy." A small group had gathered around them.

"What happened? How did you guys make it out?" That's what everyone wanted to know.

Minho and Thomas dropped to their knees. They were exhausted from their night in the Maze. Grace assumed they had been awake all night. Alby was unconscious but alive. He was bleeding from a cut on his head. "Did you see a Griever?"

Grace countiuned to stare at Minho. She was sure she would never see his face again. "Yeah, I saw one," Thomas panted.

"He didn't just see it," Minho explained. "He killed it." Grace's eyes widened in surprise. She hadn't been expecting Minho to say that.

Jeff looked at Alby. "We need to get him to the Med-Jack hut."

"Right." As much as Newt wanted to hear what happened, he had to prioritize Alby's health. Gally and a few other Gladers helped pick up the unconscious leader. "Chuck, go and grab some water for them, okay?" The young Glader nodded and took off in a wobbly run towards the kitchens. "We'll call a Gathering. Figure out what to do."

Jeff stopped by Grace's side as he prepared to follow the group to help care for Alby. "Are you coming?"

"Yeah," she whispered. It took all her energy to say the word. Grace couldn't wrap her mind around seeing Minho. The Runner stared at her as he pushed off the ground. "Be there in a minute."

Jeff looked over his shoulder and smirked. "Take your time."

Grace gazed at Minho as he approached her. "You looked surprised to see me. Did you not have any faith in me?"

"I am," she responded. That was all she could say.

"Hey," he forced a smile. "I'm the Keeper of the Runners for a-" Minho stopped talking as Grace wrapped her arms around his neck. She was hugging him tightly. He blinked a few times but quickly came to his senses. His arms snaked around her waist, pulling her impossibly closer. Grace ignored the eyes of the Gladers as they watched the two. "Did you sleep out here?"

Grace felt the heat rush to her cheeks. "Would that be so bad?" She slowly pulled away from him.

Minho smiled at her, something that caused her chest to tighten. "Careful, I might start to think you missed my handsome face."