Chapter 19

Grace looked up at Gally. His arms are crossed, and there is a scowl on his face. A few of the Builders had fallen behind in their work. It wasn't a big deal, but the Keeper was annoyed. He hated slackers. Always had. "Not everyone can have your relentless worth ethic, Gally." Grace tried to comfort him. "Lighten up a bit."

Jeff's eyebrows shot straight up at her words. Nobody ever told Gally to 'lighten up.' That was a death sentence. Truthfully, it would have been if anyone else said it. However, Grace wasn't just anyone. "Whatever. Do you have what you need?"

Grace huffed, "yes." She needed the yarn back. One of the Builders had taken it. Jeff asked her to get it back. He would have gotten it himself if he wasn't so scared of Gally. "Thank you, Gally." He huffed in response. She walked away, and Jeff followed. "Here." She handed him the yarn. "It wasn't that hard."

"Because he likes you," Jeff counters. "He hates me."

It takes all her energy not to roll her eyes. "I'm going to see if Zart and Newt need any help."

"Good that. I'll see you later."

"Bye." They part from each other. Being a Med-Jack meant most days were boring. Not much happened in the Glade. Grace liked to stay useful. There was always something to do in the Gardens. She liked to help out there as much as she could.

Her eyes found Newt. The skinny boy was wearing an orange top that stood out. It was a flattering color on him. Brandon noticed her first. "Hey, She-Bean. Here to help out for the day?"

A few people looked at her. "If you'll have me."

"We never turn down a day with the She-Bean," Zart said. "Greenie's helping out as well." He sent her a not-so-subtle wink. Grace happily ignored him. She glanced at the new Greenie. His eyes were on her, a confused look on his face. It was the first time he learned there was a girl in the Glade. Apparently, nobody had told him, and he hadn't seen her yesterday.

"Grace is the only girl," Brandon explained. "Don't expect to see any others."

She stood next to Newt. "What are you guys doing?"

"We were explaining to the Greenie that we've tried to leave in every way imaginable, but I don't think he gets it." Thomas was standing right next to him.

"If you want to be helpful," Newt spoke to him. "Go get us some more fertilizer." He grabbed a bucket and tossed it at Thomas. He managed to catch it. Zart laughed. Thomas didn't argue with him. He silently walked towards the woods.

Once he was far enough away, Grace nudged Newt. "You should be nicer. It's not his fault he's confused."

"You're quite protective over him," Zart said. "Any reason why?"

Grace glared at him. "Don't start that again." Zart was kneeling on the ground, his pants covered in mud. "It's not true." They knew that, but it didn't matter.

"You're defensive," Newt shrugged. "That's a sign." She didn't bother with a reply. They wouldn't listen to her. Grace didn't think Thomas was handsome or charming. She thought he was familiar, and that terrified her. "Nothing to say, She-Bean?"

"I think you're all Slintheads."

Brandon snorted, "is that all?"

"Yes." Grace helped Newt twist the vines back into the net. It made them easier to manage. "You're lucky I put up with you at all."

Newt glanced at Zart. The two laugh at her words. "We're just messing with you."

"I know." And she did know that. Still, she couldn't help but feel slightly flustered. The words were not true, and she didn't want Minho to think they were. The moment that thought entered her mind, she froze. Why would she care what Minho thought?