Chapter 9

Grace's eyes were closed. She had been sleeping, but the sound of people talking slowly woke her. It was gradual, and then all at once. "How did you know something was wrong?"

"I went to the Builders station. She was going bring over baskets." The voice belonged to Gally. "But she wasn't there."

There was shuffling, "why did you go to meet her?"

Gally sighed, "I don't know. I wanted to help if she needed it."

"That was kind of you," sarcasm laced Minho's words. "Considering you hated her two days ago."

"I didn't hate her," he argued with him. "I was being cautious. Someone had to be."

"Well, you single-handedly filled Aaron's hate for her. He listened to you," it was clear Minho was angry. "This is your fault."

"Hey," Newt joined the growing argument. "Both of you, Slim it." That seemed to stop them. "We're lucky Gally found her at all. She's alive because of him."

Minho grumbled something under his breath. "What are we going to do about Aaron?" That voice belonged to Jeff. He was clearly concerned about the issue. "He tried to kill her."

"We'll call a Gathering tonight," Newt muttered. "We always do."

"We already know the outcome." It was against the rules to hurt another Glader. "He'll be banished. Why waste time?"

"But we need to hear her side of the story."

"Her side," Minho snapped. "She was attacked."

Alby sighed loudly, "I realize that, but maybe she can provide more insight. Aaron isn't talking anymore."

Grace stirred as she fully woke up. Her head hurt beyond words, and she sighed. "Grace?" Her eyes fluttered open. "Hey, how are you feeling?"

The girl blinked a few times, feeling odd with all the eyes staring down at her. Everything in her body hurt, but the amount of people looking at her was overwhelming. Jeff could sense something was wrong, "I need you all to back up."

Most listened, but Minho and Newt stayed close. "You have a head injury and some bruising. Can you tell us what happened?"

Grace went to sit up and was aided by Clint and Jeff. Jeff had taken the attack more personally than most of the other Gladers. It was obvious to anyone that Grace and Jeff were considered best friends. They were nearly always together. Jeff didn't have the same feelings as some did for the sole female Glader. He only ever viewed her as an equal and a true friend. "Take it slow."

Grace smiled at him, feeling a dull ache in her head. "It was Aaron."

"That much we know," Zart muttered.

Newt glared at him, and he went silent. "Take it slow, no rush."

"Right," she had to remember what happened. It was all in pieces in her mind. Some parts were more dominant than others. "I was walking to the Med-Jack hut to get the baskets for Gally." At the mention of his name, he went stiff. "Then Aaron grabbed me and slammed into the wall. I fell to the ground, and he got on top of me." Grace remembered that clearly. "He pulled out a knife, but I managed to get away for a second." It came back in flashes. "He got back on top of me. He kept saying he'd be a hero after he killed me. That he had to stop me because I was a Creator." Grace hated him for what he did but couldn't understand why he acted the way he did. They were friends. "Then Gally found me. He saved me." She was grateful he had.

Gally rubbed his jaw, not enjoying the attention that was shifted onto him. He hadn't done anything special. Anyone would have helped. It just happened to be him who found her. "Get what you need now," Minho glared at Alby.