Chapter 11

SAANCHI

'Why didn't you tell us Saanchi!' Imran asked but Mehek kept a hand on his hand nodding a no and Imran kept quiet

Mehek smiled at me. I smiled back.

'I am proud of you!!! It's not easy! I know...I see and meet people everyday! And trust me Sannu...I'm really proud of you!' Mehek said and I smiled.

Then Mehek looked like she was deep in her thoughts and when I asked her she simply chuckled saying

'You and Nishchay are made for each other!!!'

'Mehek please... Stop!!!' I said at once standing upright. I was clearly offended. I didn't expect that from Mehek now atleast. I explained her the most crucial phase of my life. Something which even my parents don't know. If someone knew it was Sachhu Anna, my best friend Aahir and my therapists.

'Dont be offended. I am not teasing you Saanchi. Just trying to tell you how different yet similar you and Nishchay are!!!' she said and I did not understand what she meant.

'If it was anyone else I wouldn't have told because it's not right as per our profession but I know you can be his healer specifically because you went through the same pain as he is going through!!!' she said and I was trying to absorb what she meant.

'I and my team have been treating Nishchay for the last 3 years!!! Just like how you lost him...he lost Sudeshna 4 years ago and since then he was also going through treatment!!!' and that's when it striked me.

I was shocked.

'You know it Saanchi... Medicines work only when a person is willing to work towards it. Everytime Nishchay tried there was always something or the other. It's like he needs a reason to drink!!!' Mehek said truthfully and I was shocked again

'He drinks??? Mehek he wouldn't even drink a cold drink earlier! He was a health freak!!!' I said. I thought it was depression alone but depression and alcoholism together is the worst combination. Both push each other to destroy you as a human being completely.

To which Mehek chuckled sadly and said
'Drinks... Cigarettes and even drugs!!! He was into everything! But the day he was unconscious for three days and that's when Kyra was down with pneumonia and needed Nishchay to sign some documents he wasn't there. But thankfully your aunt was kind enough, she let the treatment continue upon her own risk. Three days later when Nishchay woke up and saw his 1.5 year old daughter sleeping in between multiple machines and wires was the last day he touched drugs.

He even tried quitting alcohol and cigarette because Kayu hated the smell but he was addicted to it. His body was weak. He had been to the addiction center but he couldn't be away from Kayu for too long and he wouldn't wish to send his daughter away to his hometown. His aunt took care of Kyra until she fell ill and Nishchay lost her too. He took his daughter's complete responsibility but he couldn't stop smoking and drinking although he reduced it. He drinks only post Kyra sleeps and smokes very minimal however recently as he lost his job things got worse.

He started drinking in the washroom and smoking frequently. Kyra still doesn't know but that child is a quick learner and she thinks people who drink and smoke are evil. I just hope she doesn't see Nishchay with drinks or cigarettes!!!' she said it all and I listened to everything patiently.

'This is nonsense Saanchi! Nishchay will never agree to this! You know him!' Mehek said to what I suggested

'Look Mehek!!! I'm not doing any favours on Nishchay or his daughter. It's simple. He needs a job and I need a head to manage everything from the resource management perspective. Nishchay was a senior HR Development head in his previous organization which means he knows his job and has experience of handling people will help us handle the mess with the management. He can build a team for us to make this hospital a more professional one' I said and she thought for a while and said.