Chapter 2

NISHCHAY

'I am sorry Aniketh...we cannot talk anything below 35 Lakhs. You have to understand. I have a 12 years of experience with expertise in all open source softwares that you desire. I already have a 20 lakhs package and I also have another offer in hand!' argued the candidate we were hiring for my organization.

We were one of fast growing software company in Punjab completely operating a work from home from day one however like any other company here as well a candidate ditched us at the nth minute. Just 2 days before joining he says he has a better offer and now here we are looking for our rejected options.

Aniketh my friend and fellow HR Manager was loosing his mind looking into the resumes. People think an HR's job is easy.

Come do our job in the month and you'll know what we do!!! Specially when it's the first quarter of the year where half the organization puts down their papers because they got a better offer and the rest give you cold shoulder because they aren't happy with their compensation letter and threaten you to put down the papers. Everyone thinks we HR own the company. No!!! We don't!!! We are also employees like you who have a few rules and regulations and a few policies we follow. If I don't retain you in an exit interview discussion it's not because I don't like your checks shirt or your tiffin box sent by your bebe (mother). It's simply because my management wants me to do it. But no!!! We HR's are the Mogambos, Thanos at times even Komolikas in an organisation.

'But Zishan...you are asking for an unbelievable number. From 20 to 35 Lakhs is too much!!! And in first round of interview you quoted 30 lakhs as expected now you are asking 35 that too without a variable portion...' Aniketh argued

'Look Aniketh...Its upto you...YNM Corp is ready to hire me for 32 lakhs...all I am asking you is to surpass the package!!!' argued the candidate

'But Zishan!!! Can we negotiate?' Aniketh asked. I could see his expressions on the call. Zishan Mohammed was an extremely good resource but the guy was too demanding.

'Absolutely No!!!' said the guy firmly.

I usually don't intervene but when Aniketh pinged me personally saying

'Looks like we lost him too!!!' I had to pitch in.

'Mr Mohammed. We really appreciate that you are so honest about this but I don't think we can go ahead with what you are asking us!!! And anyways ' I said firmly and I could see horror dancing on Aniketh's face.

'Bro!!! He's very good!!! Lathika will go crazy if she gets to know this one as well didn't work out. If not him then we have everyone below 6 years experience which means we would need to re interview!!! Don't blow him away bro!!!' he sent me all sad smileys on our personal chat to which I simply sent him a smiley. I also noticed a shock on the candidate Zishan's face. I could say he didn't see that coming.

'However...would you be comfortable in sharing your offer annexure with us? So we can see if something is possible?' I asked and immediately he agreed and sent to salary annexure of the counter offer he held. Quickly examining the same I smiled and spoke up

'Mr Mohammed with this package I see the package you hold has 15 percent of your salary as variable which means it is completely dependent upon your performance and it's not my thing to say but being an ex employee at YNM Corp you almost never get that amount. And then your organization also doesn't offer you a work from home which means you must shift to Mumbai and as much I remember from our initial discussion you wanted to stay in Punjab with your family, correct me if I'm wrong. Our organization offers you a complete work from home. No variable portion in the 30 lakhs that we offer you and we also give a yearly bonus which is extra with an extremely flexible work life balance which I don't know if YNM could offer you.