36: Operation Beifong pt 1

Start from the beginning

Kitiara's eyes widened. " Buttttt. I'm not hungry. "

Lin crossed her hands. " Then go back to Republic City. "

With a pout on her lips, Kitiara took her cup again and fought the urge to vomit.

***

" The test is about to start. They're going to blow up that empty town we flew over yesterday. You're clear to go. " Opal's voice was heard through the radio.

" Copy that. " Kitiara said to Opal via the radio. She then turned to Lin, Bolin and Toph. " We're clear to go. "

The team jumped into a pit.

Toph earth bended, opening a hole in the prison to allow them access.

The group gazed at the wooden container which was held in the air with some ropes.

" The guards are on the other side of that door. " The original Beifong pointed at that direction. " We'll have to be quiet. "

Thinking that she heard something, Suyin looked around and her eyes landed on her family. A smile formed on the woman's lips as she touched Baatar's shoulder to show him the small team.

" Shoot me over to the cage and I can swing them back on my cable. " Lin thought and turned to face Bolin. " Bolin, you'll have to catch them since mom won't be able to see them and Kitiara will come with me. "

The man nodded. Lin bended down. " Ready ? "

Toph and Bolin earth bended a rock column propelling Lin into the air. She landed on top of the cage which shook from the impact.

Kitiara took some steps back when she saw the container stable again. She took a deep breath before started running.

She jumped toward the void. She would have fallen on the pit if she hadn't air bended.

Unlike her mother, Kitiara landed on the container like a feather on the soil, there's neither shaking nor impact.

A guard came through the door, a little late considering that the cage had stopped moving. The man stared at the wooden box suspiciously for a while.

Noticing that nothing happened and that there was no invader, he left.

Lin and Kitiara exchanged a glance before focusing their attention on their captured family.

Kitiara used one of her fans to cut an opening from the top.

" We'll get you out one at a time. Come on. " Lin spoke.

***

" Sweetie, it'll be fine. Lin won't drop you and Bolin will catch you. " Suyin smoothed her husband.

Baatar had hugged the pile of wood from one of the corners of the container.

Kitiara was looking at the man who was her uncle. She knew that he was extremely afraid of heights.

She still remembered his expression when she landed in front of him after a flight with her glider over Zaofu.

Baatar Sr. shook his head shaking from fear. " No, no. Just go. Just leave me. I'll stay here. "

Lin, Suyin and Kitiara exchanged gazes. Suyin shrugged. Lin and Kitiara gave each other a look.

Lin waved for Kitiara to go on. The kyoshi warrior nodded.

She slowly approached and bowed in front of her uncle. Baatar gazed at her face, the makeup was done with care and precision.

He swallowed hard understanding that they will take him ignoring his protests and free will.

" Listen, uncle. I know that you're scared but it will be fine. I've done this thousands of times. I will- "

" Yes, you have done this countless times because you are an air bender. However, I'm an old, non bending man. " He cut her off.

She sighed and patted his shoulder. " True. But you are also a Beifong and part of our family. We are not leaving you. "

" But- "

" There are no buts ! I will take you bridal style, want it or not, and we will fly together to the other side. Got it ? " Kitiara interrupted him.

Baatar gave her a pleading look. " Sorry, uncle. "

With the help of the two sisters, Kitiara moved Baatar on the top of the wooden cage.

" Kitttt, are you sure about this ? " He inquired.

The girl assured him that everything would be alright and then air bended her way toward the hole that Toph created to help Bolin catch their family.

Even though Baatar was completely safe in Kitiara's hands, he screamed as they were mid-air.

He stopped when they landed taking deep breaths. She gently placed him on the soil.

Baatar's scream was loud enough to draw the guard's attention. He activated the alarm ( farcry vibes ) and a mecha tank went through the door.

It shot fire toward the sisters who were still on the top of the container. With the help of her metal cables, the Chief severed two of the ropes holding the box.

Noticing that Suyin was watching the mecha tank, frozen, Lin grabbed her and pushed her off the way of the fire.

The cage swung backwards. The Beifongs were lucky because it was moving closer to the hole. The sisters leaped from the box to unite with the rest of their family.

Suyin hugged her mother tightly.

Bolin took the radio and spoke.

" We got 'em. We're coming out. "