Charlotte ate every bite, much to her embarrassment, but the meal had been so good. The men agreed as they slopped up the gravy with extra bread from the basket set on their table.

"If I eat like this all week, I will never fit into my gowns for the season."

The men laughed, even Piper smiled. They assured she had nothing to worry about concerning her figure. They ate with delight and the conversation was lively. The ale was fresh and hearty. A second round of pints was brought during their meal.

The warmth of the inn and the ale had made Charlotte feel so relaxed that she hated to leave the cheerful inn. Oscar yelled for the stable boy to bring their horses around to the front. Charlotte settled the bill with the innkeeper, and Jenkins smiled at the serving girl and told her the meal was delicious.

Oscar flipped the two boys' coins for taking care of the horses, and their faces beamed as they thanked him. With full bellies, they mounted their horse and headed east, back to Carlisle.

Charlotte rode with Jenkins, and they visited about the changes in Harrisburg. Oscar and Jenkins had moved with her and her mother as groomsmen to the Winthrop's, and Piper had remained in her father's service at their old house.

Jenkins thanked her and her mother for trusting him. He promised her he would do a good job to be as good a groomsman as Oscar. He was glad to have such a fine job. She overheard Oscar trying to make conversation with Piper, but he seemed to only answer in one-word responses.

The countryside was dotted with farmsteads and large country homes with several outbuildings for animals. It was around four o'clock when they returned to the stable. They all thanked Clyde for the suggestion of the inn and told him what a wonderful meal they had.

"Old Otto runs a fine business, but it is Etta that is the excellent cook."

The two groomsmen walked their horses into the stall as Charlotte and Oscar visited with Clyde. Then Charlotte excused herself to get ready for dinner this evening with her father.

When she returned to her room, she met Marge carrying warm water to her room, and her son followed with coal and kindling to start the fire in the small room stove. She unlocked her door and held it open for them.

"Ma'am, I see you didn't bring a maid with you. Are you in need of any help with dressing? We also have laundry available."

"Well thank you, Marge. But I will be fine for this evening. Tomorrow I will have some laundry for you."

Charlotte reached into her coin purse and handed him a coin for making her fire.

"Thank you, Ma'am."

And he scurried out of the room with a blush on his face. The two women laughed when he shut the door.

"Will there be anything else?"

"No, thank you."

Charlotte gave her a coin for a tip and closed the door to get dressed for another evening with her father and Mr. Albright's undivided attention.

* * *

When Charlotte left her room that evening to go downstairs, she met her father coming out of Mr. Albright's room, which was located across the hall from her room. She noticed her father had changed his jacket for the evening. He had worn the green and gold jacket this morning at breakfast. He was wearing an older red jacket. It made her wonder who had packed for him. They were surprised to see her, and their faces put on a false pretense that everything was fine.

"Hello Father. How was your day?"

"Oh fine, just fine. How are you, my dear? Did you ride today?"

"Oh yes, and it was ever so much fun. Oscar and the groomsmen were delightful companions."

"Even Piper?" asked Mr. Albright.

"Yes, I even got him to smile during our meal at a roadside inn."

This comment caused their eyebrow to raise, knowing they had never seen the boy smile.

"I must say you look lovely this evening, Miss Charlotte," said Mr. Albright as he held his arm to escort her downstairs for cocktails before their evening meal.

"Thank you, Mr. Albright. I mean Tristan."

She took his arm, and they followed her father down the stairs and into the dining room. Senator Randolph's aides had already assembled in the bar, and they joined them for drinks.

"I'll have a glass of red wine," said Charlotte as the rest of the men drank whiskey. It was Thursday evening, and the dining room was packed with locals and travelers alike. They waited for a table in the bar until Marge came forward to let them know their table was ready.

The evening special was a pork chop, potato wedges, and roasted squash. Charlotte still felt full of lunch and nibbled on her meal. Her father and Mr. Albright seem to drink more than they ate. Charlotte leaned her head towards Tristan, who was sitting to her right.

"Is everything alright?" asked Charlotte as she saw his hand shaking.

He swallowed the rest of his whiskey and ordered another one before he answered. She looked at him, waiting for an answer.

"Nothing to worry your pretty head over. It is just business."

Charlotte felt annoyed at being dismissed. She knew something was not right. Her father seemed preoccupied, and a worried look covered his face. She knew they were up to something, or something had gone wrong with their meeting. Charlotte finished her wine and order a second glass to finish with her meal.

She also noticed that Tristan was not as charming or as attentive as he had been. He seemed distraught, and Charlotte had to repeat her remarks. Then her father stood up from the table and threw his napkin over his half-eaten meal.

"Mr. Albright, we need to talk in private."

Her father turned and walked into the bar and Mr. Albright followed him, leaving Charlotte and the rest of his aides at the table.

Her mother's words, "Don't trust him" rang in her ears and she knew something was wrong. She excused herself from the table and telling the men she was retiring for the evening to her room.

She went upstairs and undressed from her evening clothes. Charlotte donned her nightgown and then stoked the fire. She grabbed her sewing from her trunk. She had promised her mother she would finish the embroidery on the bodice of her dress while she was gone.

Charlotte turned up the oil lamp and sat in the chair near the fire to do her sewing. Normally, sewing relaxed her in the evening, but not tonight. She was irritated at always being left out of her father's business dealing because she was a woman.

Tomorrow, she decided to start asking more questions of their groomsmen about her father's travels and his meetings. If all else failed, she could try to persuade Tristan with her womanly wiles of flirtation. Somehow, that thought did not seem to appeal to her.