When she returned to the dining room, she asked the hostess, Marge, the way to the carriage house. The women showed her the back door of the hotel that led to the stable. Charlotte went out the back and crossed the alley to the stable door. She found the men grooming the horses and doing chores for their horses.

"Good morning, Oscar. My father said I could go riding today, provided I had an escort."

"Yes, your father gave me instructions this morning before he left for his meetings."

"Where should we ride today?"

"Well, the head groomsman, Clyde said there is an inn about ten miles to the west. He told they serve a good meal and the finest ale if you are interested."

"That sounds delightful."

Charlotte visited with Clyde as he told her about the town and the inn while the men saddled horses for the ride. He opened the large carriage door, and the riders left on their adventure. Charlotte felt free as she rode Belle, her coal black mare. It was a beautiful day for a ride.

As soon as they left the outskirts of Carlisle, she smiled at Oscar and urged her horse into a gallop. She was an excellent rider, and the exhilaration of galloping to the west was the best feeling. After a mile of galloping, she slowed the horse down to a trot and then a walk as the other riders caught up to her.

Oscar fell in beside her, and Jenkins and Piper followed. The countryside was covered in a blanket of snow, and the road was well traveled. They often were forced to ride single file when teams of wagons took over the road. Oscar took the lead and waved a greeting to each driver they met.

When they reached the roadside inn, there were several horses tied to the hitching posts and wagons parked along the road. There was a scattering of houses, creating the effect of a tiny village. Charlotte thought it was charming.

A plump innkeeper who knew by the looks of their clothes that they were good-paying customers greeted them. The inn was crowded with locals, and the smells from the kitchen were heavenly.

"Clyde from the hotel told us we could get a good meal and the finest ale here at this establishment," said Oscar in a grand fashion as he removed his leather riding gloves.

"Right you are, good sir. Right this way. Jenna, bring over ale for our travelers."

The innkeeper chased a couple of locals from the large table and seated them near the fire. When the innkeeper's daughter arrived at the table with pints of ale, they removed their outer garments as the young boy threw more wood in the fireplace.

Another boy, about nine, approached Oscar and said, "Need to feed and water the horses? I can help you out for a price."

His bold comments made everyone smile.

"Jenkins, show the boy the horses and be quick about it."

Jenkins took a big swallow of his ale and grabbed his cape to follow the boy out the front door of the inn. He was the better looking of the two young groomsmen. He had an infectious smile and a good sense of humor.

Piper was sullen and had a brooding look about him. Charlotte didn't trust him. Both Jenkins and Piper had been orphan boys growing up on the streets of Harrisburg. Her father had hired the boys to run his errands. Oscar had taken Jenkins under his wing and was training him to be a topnotch groomsman. Piper always looked as if he had slept in his clothes, and his hair was unruly. He wore a pistol on his side and carried a knife in his boot.

When their meal arrived, the large portion surprised them. Charlotte was almost salivating at the smell of the food, realizing she had not eaten breakfast. The trenchers had a thick slice of bread, two scoops of potatoes, and hot beef gravy poured over the whole platter.