However, I could've sworn that I heard Sirius shout, "You did WHAT?!" in the distance. Probably just hearing things.

*

Graduation came and went without any drama. James and I didn't speak - no, we didn't even breathe in each other's direction. It hurt, but it was his decision to leave and I'm not going to force him to be a part of our child's life if he doesn't even want to be a part of mine. It's too much to ask of someone who doesn't love me anymore.

However, I will say... he's been looking rather glum lately. Probably just because he has to leave his school behind, as well as his little groups of fangirls. 

I was finally able to move into my own place. It gets quite lonely, but it's a home. It beats living with my mum, who practically disowned me and called me some very nasty names for getting pregnant. I know it was a dumb thing to do, but I thought we'd been careful.

Either way, I'm going to do my best to be the best mother I can be. I'm going to make this place nice and give my child a loving environment. It's going to be hard, no doubt, but someone has to do it. And that's a challenge I'm willing to accept.

***

"Rise and shine, darling!" I flung the curtains open in my son's room, grinning when he groaned in protest. "Mummy, please let me sleep a bit longer," he mumbled sleepily. I sat on the edge of his bed and smoothed his hair back as best as I could. He definitely inherited his father's messy hair. Well, he pretty much is a tiny version of his father. 

I shook my head and smiled down at him. "Oh come now, lovey, don't you want to go out today?" His hazel eyes widened excitedly at the mention of going out. "Yes!" he cried, sitting up in bed. I laughed softly and said, "Okay then. Let me pick out some clothes for you so you can get dressed, and then we'll go." He nodded happily and got out of bed to make a mad dash for the bathroom.

A small smile formed on my face as I shook my head. Everyone says that when you have a child, you'll love them more than you ever thought you could love anyone. I was not prepared for how true that would be. As I grabbed a shirt and some pants from his closet, he dashed out of the bathroom. "Did you wash your hands?" I asked, narrowing my eyes when he nodded quickly.

"Ethan, you better not be lying to me," I warned, raising an eyebrow as he ducked his head guiltily and returned to the bathroom. I heard the water running and nodded in satisfaction. "All done Mummy!" he cried happily, holding his hands out in front of him. He grinned up at me and my heart melted.

"Good job lovey. Hey, are you missing another tooth?" I knelt down and inspected his adorable little smile. He watched me curiously, the light in his eyes reminding me so much of his father. "You sure did," I murmured, pinpointing exactly which tooth it was. "Where's your tooth?" 

Ethan pointed to his pillow and said, "In the stories you read me, they always put it under their pillow for the tooth fairy!" I nodded and said, "They sure do." I stood and ruffled his hair affectionately. "Get dressed and we'll go get some ice cream, okay?" His eyes lit up excitedly and he nodded.

I closed his door behind me and wandered down the hall to my room. I slid on my best pair of shoes and made sure my hair looked okay. Since He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was supposedly defeated by the Longbottom boy, I'd been taking Ethan out more often. It used to be a rare treat, but since we're "safe" now, we've had little mother-son dates. I'm quite skeptical about You-Know-Who being dead, but I can't keep living in fear. Besides, it does Ethan and I some good to get out sometimes.

"Mummy, Mummy, I'm ready to go!" he shouted as he ran down the hall. He barreled into my room and leapt into my arms. "Woah!" I cried, laughing as I perched him on my hip. "You're almost too big to be doing that now," I remarked sadly. Ethan pouted and crossed his arms. I blinked, dazed by how much that simple action reminded me of James. You would think that after six years I'd be used to how similar my son is to him, but it still takes my breath every time.