Fight For Your Right (Chap. 15)

Chapter 15

Lily:

            “Is it possible to be half shifter?”

            Derek looked up from the file that he’d been studying and gave me a confused look. “Yeah, but a lot of the babies die, so they’re aren’t too many half human shifters, most have parents that have the gene though not all of them can shift. Why the question though?”

            I sat up on his bed. “Alexis- my mom- is a shifter…” I trailed off.

            His mouth fell open. “Holy sh-crap.”

            “You can swear around me,” I told him in amusement.

            “But I don’t like to. You- you just might be a shifter. Holy crap.”

            I rolled my eyes. “You sound like that’s an entirely new idea. You shift practically every day.”

            “Yeah, but- but you-” he dropped the file he’d been going over on his desk and rubbed his temples. “Lil, you’re normal, that’s just how I see you, the idea that you could be like me, well that is an entirely new idea.”

            I sighed. “You just might have to get over it since I might actually be a shifter.” A thought dawned on me and I walked over and sat on the edge of Derek’s desk. “So, let’s say, an aquatic shifter can sense another aquatic shifter, right?” When he nodded, I continued. “My- Alexis is an aquatic shifter?” Another nod. I smiled. “Good.” I slipped my phone out of my pocket and hit the speed dial. “Hey, Heidi,” I said after she answered, “what are you doing today?”

            She seemed confused. “Nothing much, why?”

            “Can you meet Derek and I at the park in a few minutes?”

            “Yeah, sure.”

            When I hung up, Derek was looking at me funny. “What was that all about?”

            “Heidi is an aquatic shifter… Alexis is an aquatic shifter, so I figure that I would be one too, right?”

            His eyes went blank with shock. “That’s brilliant.”

            I smirked. “Why thank you, now, let’s go.” I grabbed his hand and nearly dragged him down to his car. “Are you good to drive or am I going to have to drive today?”

            He gave me a look. “You don’t have your temps yet.”

            I shrugged. “So? I’ve driven before? So what if it wasn’t exactly legal.”

            He glowered at me. “Well you shouldn’t have and you aren’t going to now, plus, I don’t want to die today.” I stuck my tongue out at him and slid into his car. “So why the park?” he asked after a few moments, pulling out onto the street.

            I shrugged. “I didn’t want to do it at your house and we sure as hell couldn’t do it at my house because of my father, so it just seemed like the place to go. Anyway, you said that it hurts, so I figured that if we go deep enough in the woods and I actually am one, no one would hear me scream.”

            He flinched at the implication of me in pain. “Who said that you were going to try to shift, you just said we were going to find out!”

            I rolled my eyes. I really should have expected him to freak out like this. “Dee, we don’t even know if I am one yet so why don’t we start yelling after we find out?”