Chapter 8 - Orphanage Changes

A/N: I know what last chapter says, but thanks to VoidSlayer77 on AO3 who helped me decide to continue this with Hermitcraft characters, and because I've now taken a bit of a break, I'll at least start to continue this. Also, if I don't end up continuing this, the same VoidSlayer77 has offered to continue the story for me! Also, I am completely making stuff up about the legal systems that I'm talking about, but we're going to roll with it anyway.

-Philza's POV-

Now that I think about it, the actual legal process resulting from one parent wanting to divorce their spouse and leave them for adoption while the other parent doesn't necessarily want to do so is complicated. At the moment, things are kind of at a standstill while Sally tries to find a lawyer and figure out what the next steps are, and no one's telling Fundy's dad. Fundy, believe it or not, is actually quite good at keeping secrets. Tommy made a point of not letting us talk about it when his friend Tubbo was over because according to Tommy, even though Tubbo probably will never meet Fundy's dad, he'll still probably find a way to ruin the secret.

So for the time being, we'll leave it to Sally to deal with. Poor Fundy is stuck waiting, but I guess it gives him time to adjust to the idea of living with us rather than the place he's lived for the entire rest of his life. And we still make sure to visit him a lot and see him at school. Though now that I think about it, when Fundy lives with us we won't have to meet during school. Maybe then we'll be able to convince him to hang out with other people his age and try to make friends. He's young enough that that probably won't be all that hard yet.

Meanwhile, Tommy, Techno, Will and I are slightly distracted from that by the news that the people that run the orphanage are leaving their jobs, though I have no idea the reason. The change isn't all that likely to affect us because the only time we even see most of the workers at the orphanage is when they give us chores, serve us food, or get mad at us for leaving our lights on too late. Still, things might change a bit. Tommy's first question to us when he heard the news was this:

"Does this mean we'll lose taco Tuesdays or that we'll finally find out what's in the meatloaf?".

Techno is hoping that the new leadership will finally get a newer computer in the library so we won't always be asking to use his, and Wilbur is just wondering if they'll change the rules.

As for me, I have no idea what to expect. This change could be a disappointment in that nothing changes, or everything could be super different, and I have no idea which. I'm mostly just hoping that nothing changes that messes with my carefully calculated life plans.

A week later, and the previous owner gave a very boring speech about leaving, which I didn't really listen to. I made sure to look like I was paying attention, but I was actually thinking about a complicated math problem I got wrong on a test and I can't figure out what I did wrong. But also, I was nervous because tomorrow, the new owners are showing up. We've found out by this point that instead of there just being one owner who has several people work under them, there will be two co-owners. Also, since there aren't that many kids in the orphanage any more, it's mostly just us, the two of them will basically do all the work and also live here because you can't just leave a building of kids unattended each night. That will be an interesting change.

The next day arrives and we see the new people arrive. One man, who introduces himself as Iskall Man, but tells us to just call him Iskall, has a Swedish accent. He has brown hair, a mustache and goatee, and a green device thing over his eye that he explains enhances his eyesight. The other owner is a lady with long brown hair of a similar color who has a British accent and wears a pink cardigan and a flower headband. She introduces herself as Miss Stress.

"I'm sure many of you are wondering what this will mean practically for you. Stress and I, but mostly Stress, have decided that for now, we will keep things more or less the same way that the old owner had them, and as we find things that we don't like or that could use an upgrade, we'll change them." Iskall announced.

"But please, luvs, if there's anything that you really like or dislike about how things are right now, please let us know! I'll try to include your wishes in the final plan." Miss Stress added.

"Yeah! Also, you may be wondering how we're going to co-own this orphanage and what all that looks like. Stress is mostly going to be in charge of the smaller things that will probably affect you guys more directly, such as chore rotations, rules, decorations, the food menu, etcetera." Iskall continued.

" 'ey!! I wanted to say that part!" Miss Stress complained.

"Well too bad. And I'm more going to be focusing on—" Iskall replied.

"He's going to be doing all of the boring complicated paperwork stuff that I'm not smart enough to figure out (1)." Miss Stress interjected.

"Stress! Really?"

"Hey, that's what you get for saying my part of the speech."

"Anyway, we'll be living in the two rooms furthest down that hallway, and our offices are the two rooms facing each other next to that. If we're in our offices, feel free to come in if you need something, and if we're in our rooms, then please knock first and wait for us to tell you if you can come in or not. I think that's all we have to say for now. Stress, did I miss anything?" Iskall finished.

"I don't believe so. We'll see you all around, and if we did forget something, we'll probably tell you at dinner or something. You guys can feel free to go." Stress confirmed.

Well that was interesting. They started out seeming kind of formal, like normal people are when they're at work, but it slowly became more casual and careless. It was obvious that Iskall and Miss Stress are good friends and work together pretty well. Also, it's interesting that they wanted and almost expected us to talk to them about stuff. The person they replaced didn't want us to bother them unless it was necessary. After talking to my brothers, they all had similar opinions too and were equally confused. Still, it's nice to have some of our questions answered. Tommy is hoping to both be able to keep taco Tuesday and maybe also get meatloaf Monday replaced with something nicer, and Wilbur thinks there's a fairly good chance he might be able to convince Stress to lighten up on a few of the current rules.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how Iskall and Stress will change our lives.

A/N:

1. I'm not saying Stress is dumb in any way, she's just saying this because I think that's probably the kind of thing she'd actually say, as well as to show that even while saying that Iskall is doing boring work, and while interrupting him because she's annoyed at him, that doesn't stop her from giving him credit where credit is due for doing hard work.

Chapter Word Count: 1122

Total Word Count: 1274