Chapter 1 - Life at Home

A/N: So, I'd planned to start this book the first week after New Years', and I thought I'd have like 10 chapters. Today is New Years and I haven't even written this one. Because of that, updates will be once a week, no faster, and the story will immediately start with Fundy stuff because that's the only plot I've written as of right now. Also the reason this is posted on Monday night instead of during the weekend is because I was out of country during most of the weekend, combined with procrastination. Anyways, enjoy!

-Fundy's POV-

I check the clock.. 5 more minutes until lunch! Today is Friday, so Will is going to be here! Phil comes on T days to help me with school stuff, but Will thinks that's boring so he comes on the other days to do more fun stuff. Today, I think he's going to show me the part of the song that he's working on!

I'm interrupted from my thoughts by the teacher saying "The class ends in 2 minutes! You can pack up for lunch now!" I scramble to get my things in my bag, then head out to lunch.

There's this grassy area between the elementary school and the high school (1). For some reason, the elementary school is on the other side of the high school. Phil said it's because middle schoolers are more likely to bully elementary school kids than high schoolers are. Either way, people from either grade are allowed in this area, though it's usually pretty empty because most high schoolers don't want to hang out with people my age, and most kids my age would rather play on the equipment in the playground.

Of course, Will and I aren't "most kids", so we meet under this one tree that's in the grassy area, and he brings his guitar.

"Hey Dad! (2) How has your song been coming along?"

"Hi Fundy! I know you really wanted to hear it, but I'm kind of stuck on one part and I don't want to show it to anyone until I'm sure I have it how I want it."

"Aww!"

"If you want, I'll make it up to you by singing, say, "Two birds on a wire" (3) for you."

"Will you play your guitar as well?"

"Mm hmm!"

After he plays the song, we talk about other random things until lunch ends. Did you know that anteaters are horrible? Before I talked to Will, I didn't even know what an anteater was! But now I know that they're the worst creature in existence!

The rest of the school day was boring, then I walked home.

"Hi Mom!" I called when I walked in.

"Hi Fundy! How was your day?"

"It was great! Math was pretty easy after Phil helped me practice my times tables yesterday and taught me the 9 rule! I was so fast!"

"That's wonderful! How was Wilbur's song?"

"Oh, Dad ended up getting stuck on part, so he didn't end up singing it to me. Instead, Will sang and played another song that was also really good, even though he didn't write it." I ignored the look on my mom's face when I called Will "Dad".

"I'm glad you enjoyed it!"

"Yeah! And I learned that anteaters are horrible and ugly! Did you know that?"

Mom chuckled a bit. "No, I didn't know that."

"I didn't either! But Wilbur told me! He also showed me a picture on his phone. They do look very weird."

"Huh, I'll have to look it up. Did you get any homework today?"

"Well, I don't have any math homework because I was so fast! But I do have to read for 20 minutes." (4) Ugh, I don't want to have to do my homework. Oh wait, isn't it polite to ask people how their day went? I think Mom told me that once. "Hey Mom, how was your day?"

"Are you just asking that so you don't have to start your homework right now?" She asked, smiling.

"No..."

"Sure... Well, I guess I'll tell you. I cleaned the house. I also spent a bunch of time cleaning the carpets, so make sure you take off your shoes before walking on any carpet! (5)"

"Okay Mom!"

Mom went to the kitchen to start making dinner, while I headed to my room to pretend to do my homework and actually to play with Minecraft and try to break the game.

An hour later, Mom came in and made me actually do my homework, by sitting next to me the whole time and making me read out loud. It wasn't that bad though because reading a book out loud to someone is kind of fun. I made the characters all have different voices and accents and stuff, just like Wilbur and Phil do when they read a book to me.

After I finished, Father came home. During dinner, he questioned Mom about what she did that day, as he usually does. Then, he went outside and turned on the spare car for a few seconds before coming back inside. I never understood why he did that, and why he only did it on days when Mom didn't go anywhere.

Anyway, after dinner, I went back to my room to continue to play Minecraft. At some point, Mom walked into my room.

"Hi Mom." I said after noticing her come in.

"Hey Fundy. What are you doing?"

"I'm playing Minecraft! I found an X-ray mod that allows you to see the location of caves and ores and things like that without needing to mine down and find it!"

"That's cool! Did Wilbur tell you about it?"

"No, Phil did. Phil and Will's brother Technoblade plays Minecraft a lot, so he knows about things like this. Apparently when Grandpa mentioned that I liked looking for ways to cheat and win games faster, he mentioned that I should try this mod!"

Another weird look flashed over her face that I ignored. "That's cool! When you say "Grandpa" do you mean Philza?"

"Mm hmm! Because once Will called Phil "Dad" as a joke because he was acting like Will's parent."

"They sound like really cool people. If you'd like to have them over next week after school before Father (6) gets home, I'd love to meet them."

"Well, if you want to meet them, you could take me to the park tomorrow while Father is having lunch with his friends. Wilbur and Phil are going to hang out there from 12-2, and they invited me to come if you were okay with it. But it would be really fun to have them over, too!"

"Sure, I'll come with you tomorrow. Well, you'll need to sleep well so you aren't tired when you meet with them tomorrow. Good night, Fundy!" She tucks me into bed and kisses my forehead.

"G'night Mom!"

A/Ns (there's a lot today, sorry):

1. For any non-US readers, elementary school is usually kids ages 5-11, middle school is usually kids ages 11-14, and high school is usually kids 14-18.

2. If you don't remember why he's calling Will "dad" from the first book, you can reread Chapter 12 because I'm too lazy to explain. But basically, he semi-jokingly calls Will "Dad" and Phil "Grandpa" sometimes.

3. This song choice is in honor of my coworker who always changes the song to this when one of Wilbur's songs comes up in his playlist (because Wilbur's songs aren't considered appropriate for the kids we're working with).

4. Before anyone starts complaining about his lack of homework, he's like 6, remember? He doesn't have much homework.

5. So, usually I'd try to avoid the traditional gender roles, but with Fundy's mom and dad, it's unavoidable and you'll see why. So you're going to have to deal with it for a bit.

6. Just to clarify, Fundy's mom calls his father "Father" when talking to Fundy because that's what Fundy calls him. She's not saying that he's her father or anything weird like that.

Chapter word count: 1057

Total word count: 1345