Episode 8: A Day to Remember

Începe de la început

"I don't think I'd mind that," the chicken admitted.

"Yeah," the pig chimed in, "'cause you're already a psychopath in the making."

Whomp! as the chicken dug her heel into his shin.

"See?" the pig argued.

"Just get a move on," the rabbit ordered, tired, "before that thing eats something it shouldn't."

The other two tossed their differences to the side, and like shadows, the trio blended into the darkness.

Am I happy?

The question came to me as I strolled back to my dorm.

I mean, I am, right? I'm not sad. I don't mind getting out of bed or anything like that.

It's just . . .

Somberness crept to me.

Is this all there is? Is this really all life has to offer?

I feel like I shouldn't be able to predict what's gonna happen tomorrow, yet here I am, sometimes confused on how this day is any different from all the others.

I looked to the stars, noticing their lustrous glimmering.

Days that bright would be nice.

The rabbit left no stone unturned, his gaze piercing every inch of his surroundings.

"Come on . . ." he whispered. "I know you're here somewhere."

What I wanna know is how that thing even got out of the Other Side to begin with. Takes some brain power to make the portal, and the little runt looked like a wild animal.

Confusion coated his gears.

Something doesn't add up.

To his side, a twig snapped, and the bunny quickly buried his contemplation, turning his head. There, he spotted his target: an intricate beast, as large as a wolf's pup as it flaunted a body akin to a three-dimensional shadow—layers of blackness coiling around one another, the substance like ink as it contrasted against the glowing eyes of amber.

The creature met the rabbit's sight and shrunk.

The hunter furrowed his brow.

"There you are, you little sh*t." A step forward. "Dunno what you think you're doing, but you gotta go."

Another action.

Then, the reaction.

As swift as lightning, the beast lurched in the other direction to bolt through the maze of oak.

Oh no, you don't!

The bunny wasted no time giving chase.

"Oh my gosh! Are you serious?"

My many wonders slid back into hiding as before me, a group of my peers blocked the sidewalk. And judging by how sloppily they moved, how their eyebrows drooped, I had the feeling they wouldn't be ignoring me this time around.

You know what? I can go the long way.

Before I could be spotted, I slipped into one of the side routes: a dirt path stretching through the woods, the half-alive trees observing from either side.

Apparently, tonight's a good night to get abused by a serial killer.

The beast weaved through Mother Nature's field, its stomps burning tracks into the earth.