Snow Falls

Mary Margaret drank her cup of tea as Dr. Whale sat across from her at Granny's cafe.

"Where were we?" Dr. Whale asked "Something about you wanting 15 kids?"

"Oh, good Lord, no." Mary Margaret stuttered "I meant in my class. Where I teach. You'll meet them tomorrow. They're coming to the hospital as part of the volunteer outreach program,"

Jemma narrowed her eyes as she realized that Dr. Whale's gaze was on Ruby.

"Oh, yeah, that is a great program," Dr. Whale rambled.

"I mean, obviously I don't want 15 kids of my own. Mary Margaret claimed "I mean, not that I don't want kids, I do. I want kids, marriage, true love."

Jemma's eyes drifted towards Ruby as Mary Margaret listed off her romance.

"I want it all. But that, of course, is..." Mary Margaret paused when she realized that Dr. Whale was not focused on her. "Wildly inappropriate for me to discuss on a first date. Jemma!"

Jemma shook her head from her late-night daydream and turned towards the table. "Yes, Mary Margaret?"

"Check, please,"

***

Jemma shouldered her bag as she headed back to her apartment only to pause when she notied a familiar yellow bug. "Hey," she greeted.

Emma looked up from her newspaper in surprise.

"You okay?"

"Oh, in the world of tight spots I've been in, crashing in my car doesn't even rank in the top 10," Emma reasoned.

"You're sleeping here?"

"Till I find a place,"

Jemma smiled "You decided to stay for Henry,"

"Yeah, I guess. This town doesn't seem to have many vacancies. None, actually. Is that normal?"

Jemma shrugged "Must be the curse,"

Emma sighed as she leaned against her car "Why are you out so late?"

"This lovely thing called a job,"

"Your mom lets you work so late?"

Jemma sighed "My mother doesn't control my life, she keeps a brave face...but she's not a fan of my lifestyle,"

"What living amongst the peasants?" Emma teased.

"Being bi," Jemma admitted.

"Oh," Emma realized.

Jemma cleared her throat "You know if things get cramped...Mary Margaret does have a spare room. She suggested it to me, but I declined the offer. Not that she isn't a great roommate or anything, but this whole independent thing isn't so bad after all,"

"Thanks," Emma said. "I'm not really the roommate type either. It's just not my thing. I do better on my own,"

Jemma nodded in understanding "Well, good night. Good luck with Henry,"

"Yeah,"

***

Mary Margaret walked around the hospital, being careful to stay away from Dr. Whale during working hours. She placed a vase of flowers and noticed that she was a student short. Mary Margaret noticed Henry in the room with the John Doe coma patient. "Henry, we could really use your help with the decorations,"

"Is Mr. Doe going to be okay, Miss Blanchard?" Henry asked.

"His name's not John Doe honey. That's just what they call people when they don't know who they are,"