Leonard goes on a rant about how his friends are never allowed to stay for dinner, and Matthew retreats "what friends" and "the ones you brought last time were your study group you couldn't wait to get rid of".

"Yeah but hypothetically speaking," Leonard says and crosses his arms, "If I were to bring over friends, mum would kick them out before dinner for sure."

"The difference is," their mother says, "June is not a friend, but Matthew's girlfriend. And I like her."

I almost choke on my lasagna, and quickly swallow.

"Oh, thank you."

"Do you attend the same school as Matthew?" his father asks and gives me a curious look while taking seconds servings of the lasagna.

I nod. "We're both seniors."

"June is also in the event council," Matthew adds, "She's our coordinator. We went to check on the catering services for Christmas prom today."

"Oh, Christmas prom is so soon already," his mother claps her hands, "I'm excited to see you in a suit, you two will look lovely together! Leonard, why don't you attend too?"

Leonard complains about how he definitely won't another school's prom, much less proms in general, and lists all the reasons why proms sucks, from formal dancing to girls. I silently eat my lasagna and wonder just how long this thing between Matthew and I is going to last. Long enough for us to attend Christmas prom together? And does Matthew seriously want his senior prom pictures be ruined by his fake girlfriend?

Even if he seems pretty casual about this whole relationship business and doesn't really emphasize the point it's just to get back on my ex. Still. I feel uneasy and fidget on my chair, until Matthew's mother gets worried and asks if the lasagna doesn't taste well.

"It's delicious," I say quickly, "I love lasagna."

"Second after pancakes?" Matthew chuckles and nudges my side.

"Oh, I'm going to make some when you visit next time!" his mother declares, "Since you like pancakes so much!"

I wonder how much Matthew actually talks about me. Seems to be way more than I do, since my mum doesn't even know about his existence. I start to feel guilty, and give Matthew's mother a bright smile.

"That would be great."

Matthew and his father do the dishes after dinner, and his mother takes Leonard and me to the living room. We drink hibiscus tea and Leonard tells us about the project he's working on for his literature class with three other students.

"I hate it," he declares and shakes his head until his whole forehead is covered with messy strands, "The others are just – they keep on suggesting all those stupid books I won't read over my dead body."

"But dear, why don't you suggest one of your favorite books yourself?" his mother says and combs back his hair, "You've read so many nice books, I'm sure you'll find one all of you like!"

"Sure, since science fiction works so well for group projects," Leonard snorts, "All they keep on suggesting is classic shit like Shakespeare plays and books everyone and their mother already did a project about, like the Catcher in the Rye."

"I didn't." his mother says.

"And Jason suggested Holes." Leonard huffs as if it's the stupidest thing he's ever heard.

"Oh, but isn't this your favorite?" his mother says, "You've read it at least a hundred times."

"Yeah, and I did a hundred projects about it, too."