Chapter X

I arrive at my classroom before Moon-Jo and decide to go over my lectures for tomorrow's classes. About twenty minutes later, Moon-Jo walks in with a single book. As if he heard what I said about his sweater addiction this morning, he has now changed into a light grey, collard, button-up shirt tucked into a pair of black slacks. I walk over to one of the student desks and push it up against another one. I then get the teeth model and bring it to the desk. "So, what's first?" I ask Moon-Jo. Putting on his glasses, he opens up his book and looks over a few pages, before closing it again and putting it on one of the desks behind us. "Ok, tell me what you know about the teeth in general," he says, while looking directly into my eyes. Like one in a trance, I start rattling off the names of the different sections of teeth, "Most adults have thirty-two teeth—eight incisors, four canines, eight premolars, and twelve molars, which includes four wisdom teeth." Feeling proud of my knowledge, I wait to see what Moon-Jo will say. He only nods his head before pulling out a wallet type packet outside of his pants pocket. He opens it up to reveal multiple surgical looking tools. Without much thought, I take out a plier looking tool, called forceps, and begin to examine it. Suddenly, Moon-Jo takes my hand in his and guides it towards the model. "The point of this tool is to extract a tool quickly and efficiently. Letting go of my hand he pulls out the scalpel and continues, "Before pulling the tooth out, one must carefully release the tooth from the gums and bone tissue with this. It can be a very messy process, but should be successful ninety percent of the time if done correctly." I admire his knowledge on the subject and ask, "What got you so into learning about teeth, more specifically tooth extraction?" His eyes dilate to the point that the dark brown of his iris is almost completely covered by his pupil. "I was a dentist back in Seoul. I even had my own practice," he says while keeping his eyes on mine. Astonished by this new information, I push to find out why he would leave such a successful career. He ignores my question and tries to return the topic to the teeth model, but I insist on him telling me. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with knowing, but I am. Frustrated, he begins to pick up his things, but I stop him by pulling his arms towards me. "Moon-Jo, what's wrong?" I ask while focusing on his eyes. "You don't want to know Anna. Just keep things how they are right now, and everything will be fine" he says firmly. "What if I don't want things to stay the same? What if I want us to be more than just colleagues and neighbors?" I ask with desperation, "Whatever happened back in Seoul, whatever you did, I'll still love you." He suddenly starts laughing in a mocking way at me and asks, "You think of yourself that highly, that you can just come into my life and change me completely?" Unsure of what to say, I reply, "No, I just want you to know that I could help you." "But I don't want your help. Ok?" he says firmly. Totally uncomfortable at this point, I grab my bag and begin making my way to the door. Before I can even get past the next desk, Moon-Jo grabs my arm and swings me back around towards him. Without even giving me a chance to pull away, he places his other hand behind my head and causes our lips to collide into one another.

Immediately forgetting his harsh words, I deepen the kiss by sitting on his lap and placing both my arms around his neck

Immediately forgetting his harsh words, I deepen the kiss by sitting on his lap and placing both my arms around his neck. One of my hands begins to run through his hair, while he tightens his arms around my waist. It's finally happening, I'm kissing him. He takes one of his hands and cups my cheek with it. I open my eyes for a moment and see him looking right back at me. Closing my eyes again, I move my hands to his shoulders and grip them firmly. Suddenly, he stands both of us up and pulls away from me. Confused, I ask him what's wrong, to which he replies, "That was a mistake. I was being impulsive. I'm sorry." Not expecting or wanting an apology I reply, "No, it's not a mistake. I love you Moon-Jo, and you love me. You wouldn't have done that if you didn't feel something." Running his fingers through his hair he says, "Either way, it was a mistake. We can't be together Anna. It wouldn't work out. Just stay away from me." At this point I'm just angry, so I yell, "Me stay away from you? Your the one who basically pursued me. Eating lunch with me everyday, asking specifically for the apartment next door to mine, following me everywhere I go. All these things. It's almost like your a stalker Moon-Jo!" Rubbing over his bottom lip, he takes a deep breath before simply saying, "No matter what, we just need to stay away from one another. If we do that, then the next two months will fly by, Mrs. Louise will return from her leave, and I'll be out of here." His statement hits me like a ton of bricks, and I walk directly up to his face and say, "I don't like being used Mr. Seo. You've had your fun with me, but now it's over. Don't talk to me ever again. I hate you with a passion, and I can't wait until you leave this school." With that, I pick my bag up again and march out of the room.

I told you to not get close to me. Why couldn't you just listen? Why?!