08 | Take That, Goliath

Nolan didn't know what to do.

Before his parents died, he went to church on holidays, and that was about it. At least then, he had people to sit and talk with while he waited for the sermon and holiday presentation to begin. Now, he'd been abandoned by Caleb and Sam, who'd run off somewhere with a group of other kids. Sam's parents were still in the lobby. The awkwardness of hovering by his brother's friend's parents had been too much, so he'd edged his way into the sanctuary. When he didn't see Nora or the others, he'd slid into an available spot at the back, by the door. He could only hope that the people a few spaces down weren't intending on holding those seats for anyone else.

His legs jangled. He shouldn't be here. It was a lie, to sit here, "listen" to Mr. Sison talk about being faithful to God, and pretend to pray. God didn't exist. That had all but been proven the night his parents were slaughtered. And if by some chance there was someone up there, looking down on them, then Nolan wanted nothing to do with them. Nothing.

"Nolan!"

He spun, and for the first time, he was relieved to see Nora waving, that ever-bright smile on her face. "Hey," he said, when she was close enough to hear him.

"Hey," she said. "If you want, you can sit with us. I'll be leaving to teach class, but Max and Andy will be staying out here."

"Oh, uh..."

"No-No!"

Riley flung herself into his arms. Apparently, he was No-No.

"Oh," he murmured, awkwardly patting her back. "Hey, Riley."

She pulled away, her hands on his shoulders. "You came!"

He nodded.

She squealed and hugged him again, and he cast an uncertain glance in Nora's direction. Nora pressed her fist to her mouth to hide a laugh.

"Are you coming to class today?" Riley asked. She was done hugging him now, and had hopped into the space next to his. She leaned her head against his arm.

"Uh..."

"Please?"

"Sure," he said.

Dammit. He didn't even know what he'd agreed to.

"Awesome," Nora said. Her eyes were wide, betraying her shock. "It'll be fun."

Riley grabbed him by the cheeks, pulling at them and shifting them back and forth. Was she channeling someone's grandmother? "Your cheeks are squishy," she said.

"Uh-huh." The not-word was surprisingly difficult to get out as Riley continued playing with his face.

"Will you come sit with me and my mommy?" she asked. She prodded at his cheeks. "We sit over there."

She pointed to the leftmost column of pews, second row from the front.

"Uh..."

The second pew from the front. Somehow, that felt even more blasphemous than hiding in the back.

"Sure," he said. Dammit.

"Yay!" Riley squealed. She grabbed onto his hand and tugged him to his feet. "Come on!"

With one final glance at Nora, he allowed Riley to haul him toward the front.

"Mommy!" she called as they approached. A middle-aged woman with short, brunette hair, looked up and smiled.

"This is Nolan," Riley said as they settled into the pew. "He's my new best friend."

Nolan smiled awkwardly. Her mom smiled back.