Chapter 22: "Steadiness Was Seldom"

Start from the beginning

"Can we get up before someone sees us?"

Once Cody eventually did detach himself, Alejandro went to the confessional, yawning softly as he sat down.

"Win African challenge, invite pathetically grateful nerdling to First Class. Win today's challenge, take my dollface to First Class. Done, done, and oh so close, I can taste it!"

Once he came out, he decided to wheel his prize of sweets over to Cody. He was trying not to cringe at all of the disgusting candy. He always despised anything with copious amounts of sugar or artificial flavors. Plus, if he ever wanted something that tasted sweet, he could just go to Miranda anyway.

"While you were sleeping, Chris delivered my prize for winning. Sadly, I do not have much of a sugar tooth."

"Yes?" Cody looked up with hope filling up in his eyes.

"And as my dear Mama always says, I am sweet enough already." Alejandro snickered confidently.

"Yes?!" Cody beamed, his mouth watering with excitement.

"Plus, I would rather not pollute my system with chemicals and dyes."

"Can I have it?!" Cody asked anxiously.

Alejandro finally cut off his act. "Oh? Would you like it?"

Cody nodded vigorously.

"Please, enjoy!"

Like a dog being let go from a stay, he dug right into the basket of candy. Alejandro flinched initially, but the joy in his voice made up for it.

"I owe you one, man!"

Cody never looked happier, just completely over the moon. It was exactly what Alejandro wanted.

In Economy Class, things weren't so cheery. Once the girls woke up, they immediately turned the room into a psychiatrist's office.

Sierra was laying on her bench with a stack of pillows under her head, just venting about the status of her "relationship" with Cody. Miranda sat right beside her, consuming the words she was saying as they went out the other ear. She nodded as if she was listening, but she was more focused on writing a note on her phone.

"The marriage has been maybe, a teensy-weensy bit rocky so far. But, I will do whatever it takes! So, what do you recommend?"

Upon this question, Miranda looked up to meet Sierra's pleading eyes. She sighed, scraping the crevices of her brain for some kind of decent response to give her.

"In this case, since you're so determined to make it work...I'd suggest giving him space. The reason it's been hard is that you're becoming too clingy. No one likes that kind of thing, I learned that firsthand. So, just be supportive of him, even if it's from afar. It's the little things that really leave an impact on people."

Sierra blinked, thoroughly surprised by how profound her words were. She knew Miranda really wasn't in the mood to listen to her, but she still put in impressive input.

"...Wow. Are you secretly a therapist or something?"

Miranda snickered quietly. "I get advice, I give it back. It's nothing."

"Oh, but I don't know if I can manage without having my Cody cuddles! There's nothing like it in the whole world!" Sierra refuted desperately.

Miranda hesitated to reply at first, as it seemed selfish to say what was on the tip of her tongue. But, at a time like this, she was in great need of someone loyal to lean on.

"Well...Maybe it's time to start trusting the girls in your life."

Sierra shot her a confused look. "How will that save my relationship?"