Chapter 6: The Moonlight Gathering

I woke on the day of the moonlight gathering. "Cats of Field colony gather around to hear my words." Dad announced. "Is there going to be a gathering tonight, Dad?" I asked as I went to join dad on the tall rock. "Yes, Midnight there is. So you all know that there is going to be a gathering tonight." Dad announced as he turned his attention to the rest of the colony sitting below us. My mom's spirit appeared next to me. Your father is doing a great job as captain and you are doing phenomenal as second of Field colony. Mom's words soothed in my tattered ears. "Thanks mom. I am trying my hardest." I said to my mom's spirit. I know you are trying your hardest. Mom's words soothed in my tattered ears. Mom's stary tongue licked my fur between the ears. "Thanks mom." I said as we looked at dad. "Our borders constantly are being pushed by river colony so we need to get the point across to Moonriver and her rangers that she can't push us around." Dad announced. "I will be sending out a hunting patrol and Border patrol. I will be leading the border patrol with Chervilberry, Duskwind, and Hollysong." I announced. "Thanks Midnightbreeze." Dad announced as he turned his attention to the rest of the colony. At this point mom went back up to the sky with the ancestors. "And with that colony dismissed." Dad announced. I miss mom and I know dad misses her too but we must stay strong. I walked over to my patrol and lead them out of the base and towards the border that separates us from River colony. We saw a river colony patrol in our territory but we successfully chased them off of our territory and into there's. We remarked the borders and we walked back towards base. The sun was setting as we walked into the base. We walked over to my dad. "Did you remark the borders between us and River colony?" Dad asked. "Yes we did dad." I said as dad walked up onto the rock in the middle of the clearing. "Let every cat from Field colony gather around to hear my words." Dad announced. Every cat dispersed out of dens and into the clearing where dad and I were sitting on the rocks. "We must get going to the gathering before we are late. So cats of Field colony fallow my lead to the moonlight gathering." Dad announced as we walked to lead the colony to the moonlight island. Once we got there dad flicked his tail for us to go onto the moonlight island. I walked onto the rock below the captains branch. Stormtail and his rangers walked onto the moonlight island. Stormtail jumped up onto the tree next to dad. Lakejaw joined me on the rock. Stormwhisker and his rangers arrived onto the moonlight island. Stormwhisker jumped up onto the tree next to dad and Stormtail. Freckleshade joined me and Lakejaw on the rock below the captains branch. "Imagine us being up there where the captains sit sharing the news of our colonies." I said as I looked up at the captains. "Yeah your right Midnightfur. We will soon be captains with our own second in commands." Freckleshade said. "Who would you pick as your second in command?" I asked. "Since we have three cats who are really hard workers, so I think I might pick Sunfall." Freckleshade said with determination. "Was he born on the summer solist?" I asked Freckleshade. "You mean she? Yeah she is one of my closest friends besides my mate Swancover. She would be my best pick as second and you, who would you pick as your second in command once your captain of Field colony?" Freckleshade asked. "I might as well pick Boulderpath as my second in command because he watched my training with my mentor Bramblestone. So he will make Field colony proud." I said. Moonriver and her rangers arrived onto the moonlight island and jumped up onto the tree next to dad, Stormtail, and Stormwhisker. The orange and white tom joined me, Freckleshade, and Lakejaw on the rock below the captains branch. "Hi, I'm Midnightfur." I said to the new river colony second. "Hi, nice to meet you Midnightbreeze, I'm Foxwhisker of River colony." Foxwhisker said. "Since every cat is here tonight let the gathering begin." Stormwhisker announced. Stormtail stood to his paws as Stormwhisker sat down. "I will go first. We have one new ranger here at his first gathering, Morningclaw. He had completed his training and he is now a full ranger of Marsh colony and he is my brother's son." Stormtail announced looking at Morningclaw with appreciation and he sat down. "Morningclaw, Morningclaw, Morningclaw." The colonies cheered. "Not only Marsh colony has news all the colonies has news. Field colony has Cherry our second herbalist." Dad announced as he sat down as Moonriver stood to her paws. "Our fish in our rivers below to river colony alone and I believe that Marsh colony was stealing our prey." Moonriver announced hissing at Stormtail. "We haven't done anything like that Moonriver." Stormtail hissed at Moonriver. "Stop it you two." Dad said sternly as Stormtail and Moonriver stopped arguing as Stormwhisker stood to his paws. "Oak colony has Webheart at the gathering tonight, she has completed her training and is a full ranger of Oak colony." Stormwhisker announced. "Webheart, Webheart, Webheart." The colonies cheered as dad stood to his paws. "And with that the gathering is over." Dad announced as he jumped off of the tree and I walked along side my father. "Come Field colony move out towards the base." Dad said as we walked off the moonlight island and towards the base. Batripple and I walked into the rangers den and curled up next to each other and fell asleep till morning.