❛ CAFFEINE & VESTIGES

~O~

Rationally speaking, Izuku should not have that much coffee.

He knew it was bad for his health or whatever but he was very extremely tired. You see, he woke up really early. By that he meant he never slept. He couldn't sleep last night for all sorts of exhaustion had abandoned him so he spent the entire night scrolling through r/allmightymemes and watching cat videos. At one point, he even started hallucinating - he could almost see Nana's figure standing by his bedside trying to pry the phone out of his hand with the classic disappointed mother look. Sad for her, she was just a hallucination. Hallucinations can't take away children's phones and force them to go to sleep.

Actually now that he thought about it, maybe she wasn't really a hallucination. Perhaps his predecessors' vestiges were beginning to take form in the physical world too. How in All Might's Silver Age had he not thought of that possibility before? It wasn't the possibility of his very dead predecessors manifesting as most likely ghosts in the physical world that surprised him, it was the fact that he had completely missed it was what shocked him.

See, this was why he should have more coffee.

On top of not sleeping, Aizawa had them run this exceptionally tricky obstacle course like fifteen times as a 'warm up' session before sending them off to their internships and he only revealed that it was a graded exercise at the last minute. Izuku wanted to pull his hair out, his classmates felt the same.

The internship wasn't any better. In fact, it got worse. Now, Izuku wasn't one to make assumptions about people but the suffocating atmosphere between Shouto and his father was much more intense than usual. Something must've happened back home, it was the Todoroki family after all. Their drama never ceased to end and as their self-proclaimed family therapist, when Burnin' offered him coffee he gratefully took two styrofoam cups of the dark warm beverage from her, saying one was for Katsuki. Katsuki never had coffee though. He downed both cups before the ash blonde could even notice he had them. No amount of caffeine would prepare Izuku to get an earful from Katsuki about how he absolutely fucking sucked at taking care of his health. He wasn't risking ever being caught with coffee by him. Never.

Anyhow, he joined the other two afterwards and they waited a while for orders which came soon. They had to follow Endeavour throughout the day again and from the last few day's experience, they knew it was going to be tough to keep up with the new number one hero. Especially, tough now that there was apparently some new family drama going on. Izuku knew damn well Katsuki wasn't going to help so now he had two Todorokis to babysit while on patrol. Great.

He should've asked Burnin' for another cup. Maybe he should've said it was for Shouto.

(He did. Right before they left)

He couldn't really be blamed now, could he? If his analysis was correct then there was a eighty five percent chance that at least at one point during this patrol, Shouto would either snap at his father and try to roast or freeze him alive depending on the mood or Shouto would confess whatever was going on to Katsuki instead of Izuku which kind of hurt but it would most likely be because Shouto wanted to become a closer friend to the ash blonde and consequently they would both try to trash talk Endeavour in the middle of the goddamn street. Neither possibilities must come pass. Not when Izuku was running on three cups of coffee. If he added another cup to his system during their break then nobody knew. Maybe Shouto knew but that didn't matter. He wouldn't rat Izuku out to Katsuki. He hoped he didn't, he really needed to stay awake for whatever was going to happen that he needed to prevent.

"I feel like the kid just jinxed himself," a voice that suspiciously sounded like the fifth user (who was also very dead like Nana) whispered. Izuku could tell he was the only one who heard it. He wished he didn't because that was exactly what happened. He jinxed himself.