The Mother (Epilogue)

The world once knew of a woman created with thorns and bred from the remnants of a decaying religion.

They thought of her to be a messiah in the midst of their self-created fall, a descended angel from the highest corners of the heavens to sate their dying quench for an earth that sings of peace.

She gazed at the world through rosen eyes, and her tongue danced with the beat of the song that the earth's cry for mercy whispered into the chaos of its night. And out her lips came a soothing lullaby, an answer to the screams of the lost and the damned of the rotting world.

They chanted her name, a panic-induced mantra that shook the trees in its wake and made their hearts pound in anticipation. They chanted her name, a drug for the desperate that they've embedded deep into their tortured minds.

Her name was their home and she was their solace...

Yet their home was of straws and her solace of empty husks...

Oh Mighty Mendax...

Turn your eyes back to the people you've deceived... see how they've now been reduced to worthless groveling at the sight of unfaithful mercy.

Oh Serpent Mendax...

Did you heart turn to cower in shame as you revealed the snake behind the Eve you claimed yourself to be... as you tempted them with the kiss of the poison that you veiled in the image of a forbidden fruit?

Oh Sower Mendax...

Did you feel the seeds of guilt shroud your very soul as you grasped at their throats and slit at their wrists in the face of their sacrifice... those throats that have sung to you praises and glory...those hands that have suffered the roughened terrain of this wasteland to provide you the harvest of their blinded love?

Oh... Pitiful Mendax...

Your heart no longer feels... Your tongue now only a whip to wound.... your eyes now only roses to deceive...

Apostasy was not an option to men after the fateful revelation... it had become a necessity...

They had seen the core of the fruit from the low-hanging tree...

And now have seen beyond your mirage....

You have ended the war...

But only to kindle the flames of another.

And we... the sons... the heirs to your destruction.

Swords forged from the flame to bring your fall.

Mother... will you deceive us as you did them?