twenty two

THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES

PART 2/5

An entire hour had passed and somehow, i was still alive. One hour done, and only about...two more to go.

Two more hours of ignoring the lingering glances Colton shot my way, or the annoyed expressions of impatient rich people who were currently waiting on their appetizers. Their appetizers I was supposed to be serving --yet the kitchen was taking their sweet time with the orders.

"Excuse me, could you point me towards the kitchen?" a voice rung me out of my thoughts.

As I turned, I realized it was the same man who walked in with Colton's family. Auburn hair and deep black eyes.

" I'm trying to double check on our tables filet mignon, sorry to bother," he charmed. 

I shook my head, just taken off guard that a rich person here was treating me like an actual person, "Um, I'm not sure I can let you back there, however I assure you Chef Arturo is doing his best to assure a delicious, sound meal!"

"Ah, well, my family's actually hosting this event," he took a moment to think. "I doubt it'd be a problem if I went to the back real quick." He urged.

If it wasn't my scholarship on the line, I truly would have just let him back, but unfortunately, I couldn't do that due to health hazard reasons. 

He was getting kind of annoying now, "I understand that, however I was specifically instructed to not let anyone back there. Safety reasons."

There was a long lull that made me unsure of whether this man was to be trusted.

When finally--

"Right," he agreed with a tight lipped smile.

I wanted to walk away right then, until-

"Oh! One more thing," he hummed, making me turn around. 

What now?

"Why is my cousin looking at you like he wants to fuck you right now?"

That made me freeze. My breath was quickening and I knew he could tell. I felt like I was a parasite under a huge, burning hot microscope waiting to observed and picked apart for anything I did wrong. And this man in front of me was the one holding the microscope.

 "I'm not sure what you're talking about, sir." I decided on.

"Really?"

"Yep."

A smirk danced on his lips as he took me in, sighing.

The puzzle pieces were clicking together now. This was Matthew. Colton's cousin. Colton had told me about how growing up, since he didn't have any siblings, Matthew posed as a sort of older brother to him. A figure to look up to. 

"You don't know Colton?" he questioned.

I shook my head.

"Colton Whitman? The reason this banquet is even being held in the first place?" he took a step forward and I took a step back. 

There was something incredibly off-putting about his energy.

Noticing my reluctance to be near him, the smirk on his lips grew larger. "A lack of knowledge prior to working the event...hm," he sucked his teeth, shaking his head. "That's very unprofessional for an NGSA worker. I see affirmative action means they're letting just anyone in nowadays, correct?"

A hit at my intelligence. I saw how he was going to play this.

"Oh! Colton. Right. Yeah, um, I think he goes to my school. I don't know him too well though," I put on a sickly sweet smile, codeswitching to my bubbly customer service voice. "However, the NSGA thanks you and your family for the sponsorship! If you need anything else, please let me know, and we are forever happy to help," I grinned.